Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th January 2008, 10:10 AM   #1
DieHard

Default Object Naming

Is there a way to have objects, lines, rect, etc name in order of creation? Like line1, line2 I have been doing this manually now because I have to export to 3ds and the 3ds format makes random assemblies of the objects and some normal flips in the process. It is a large problem at times.

Question 2

I have found that after making a model on AC3D when I do export to 3ds I get a lot of normal flips, the model is accurate in AC but after import I have many flipped normals.

Question 3

Since I have your attention. When I export to .obj format I get only one object, no matter what the settings are, write to object checked or un checked, all my objects have different names also. That is one reason that I have to export to 3ds to get the model in another app to get it to separate .obj for UV.

New to AC but have found it to be the easiest to get my ideas down as a model.
thanks

Last edited by DieHard; 10th January 2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added Question
DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Toronto
Professional user

Default Re: Object Naming

When you export to a .3ds file you must note the following.

1) Materials are turned into objects when using the 3ds format.
Therefore if you have 3 materials you will end up with 3 objects when you save to a 3ds file format.
Make each object a separate material when saving to a 3ds format.
Example: If you have a car with 4 objects (frontbumper, rearbumper, roof, body)
Assign materials as follows:
frontbumper >> material#1
rearbumper >> material#2
roof >> material#3
body >> material#4

Assign a (short lettered) texture to each of the four objects, map it correctly, and then save as 3ds format.

2) 3ds files require you to use textures (or maps) which are named with 5 letters and 3 digits maximum.
Therefore if you have a black texture from photoshop that use want to assign to an object you should name the texture in photoshop as something like Black123.bmp or Blac12.bmp and not Blackness4567.bmp

If your textures have more than the maximum acceptable characters your texture name stored in the 3ds file will get renamed and your object may get changed. You will get odd results.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
DieHard

Thank you for that info, I am familar with the naming conventions in Max. AC does provide mat'l names in ac0 ac1 - etc if you donot provide a matl. In either case it is not the problem in the issues, whether you name a material or not, the same flipping and single object export occur.
DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Toronto
Professional user

I must admit I've exported to 3ds files alot and never had a normal flip.

The only time I've had things go wrong is when I've not kept the objects and materials the same.
When my materials and objects are not the same then I get all kinds of odd results.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote