Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Developers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd March 2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Double rows of vertices?

I'm new here and I just bought AC3D. I checked out various 3D applications and this was the one I could understand. The user interface is quite intuitive and the price is affordable. I'll be using it for X-Plane models.

On to the questions,
1) When I extrude surfaces I end up with white edges. I think it may be a double row of vertices. I'm a bit surprised that white lines persist since 3D rendering should be nothing but valid or invalid (missing) surfaces. The attached image shows my model with the white lines and these show even after I've converted this model to X-Plane *.obj and view it in the simulator. I've tried to snap vertices together by distance (in case I had a redundant row next to the other) but nothing happens to the white lines.

2) I have tried beveling but it doesn't effect what I want. I want to round off edges where perpendicular surfaces join but I get nothing but spikes or dips. Maybe "bevel" isn't what I want after all or maybe the tool settings are wrong?

3) My model is made up of 3 different ones that are put together, textured individually and then merged. I assume this approach will leave invisible surfaces / redundant vertices inside the finished model. Is there an easy way to delete surfaces that get buried into another object?

4) Related to the above, I've tried to cut segments off a model to in order to keep nothing but that which will show. I'm unable to use the "knife" though. I click "knife", "slice surfaces" and then I need to "set" knife. "Line" comes up and then "knife: knife cannot slice itself -- please deselect the knife". All right, I'm clueless; how do I perform the simple task of slicing an object in two and discard the part that I don't want to keep?

When this is finished there'll be a few more rounded surfaces and I believe the easiest way to build it will be by joining elements rather than sculpting it all in one go.

5) Probably very basic, when and why do I want to triangulate a model?

6) Equally basic, when two joining surfaces don't share vertices, how do I ensure that they will? I have added ordered surfaces perpendicular to an existing surface (adding top to the sides) and found that the top slides off to open a gash when I move a vertex. In other words, the surfaces don't share vertices at edges.

I'm attaching a screenshot as well as part of the model. The entire three part model exceeds the quota so I just picked one of the elements. It shows the white edges where surfaces join and these are the edges I want to become rounded (beveled?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac3d_sponson.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1897  

Attached Files
File Type: ac element.ac (18.1 KB, 349 views)
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Double rows of vertices?

You have a few lines in there. When you extrude a shape from a profile, it's probably best to use on/off/on for the settings and then press delete when you've finished extruding to remove the original profile shape.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You have a few lines in there. When you extrude a shape from a profile, it's probably best to use on/off/on for the settings and then press delete when you've finished extruding to remove the original profile shape.
Thanks for your reply Could you please elaborate on the on/off/on settings? I just checked and failed to find any relevant settings. I would have hoped there was a way to fix this without doing it all over.

"Extrude" and "extrude along a path" ought to be pretty straightforward. That is, I'd expect no redundant edge trimming unless I really ask for it.

I'll keep experimenting

---------------

added:

http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthre...ht=extra+lines

This fixed my double lines that come out as white trimming in the final model:
Click "poly" (lower left panel) and click "surface type" and the redundant lines are gone.

Last edited by Hans_Petter; 3rd March 2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: I found a solution
Old 9th March 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
JimB_again

Quote:
4) Related to the above, I've tried to cut segments off a model to in order to keep nothing but that which will show. I'm unable to use the "knife" though. I click "knife", "slice surfaces" and then I need to "set" knife. "Line" comes up and then "knife: knife cannot slice itself -- please deselect the knife". All right, I'm clueless; how do I perform the simple task of slicing an object in two and discard the part that I don't want to keep?
I have just purchased the 6.5 upgrade and I cant get the "Knife" tool to work either,please can someone shed some light on this problem?
JimB_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB_again View Post
I have just purchased the 6.5 upgrade and I cant get the "Knife" tool to work either,please can someone shed some light on this problem?
Yes, by now I've figured it out and find the knife very useful.
1) Make a rectangle that intersects your model where you want to split it. Leave it marked as the selected object.
2) Select "knife", define the rectangle as being the knife and check / tick all of the other boxes but do not execute the operation yet.
3) Now comes the less intuitive point -- select the object you want to cut rather than the rectangle! Then execute the knife operation. When I got "knife cannot cut itself" I failed to switch the object selection from rectangle (knife) to the model to be cut prior to the final operation.
Old 13th March 2010, 05:40 PM   #6
JimB_again

Thanks Hans it does seem a little complicated.

Last edited by JimB_again; 13th March 2010 at 05:54 PM.
JimB_again is offline   Reply With Quote