Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th October 2004, 07:56 AM   #1
AndyH
Advanced member

Default Difficulty manipulating textures

Hi!

Textures question:

I'm finding I am struggling with textures. I have a very simple object, and place one texture over it. The object level texture controls will let me adjust the UV with the mouse slider and by manually entering specific values. This part is great.

In my simple model I want to move the texture UV on just two surfaces so they are offset to the texture elsewhere. The Texture editor (F10) allows me to do that to a point, but it is difficult to use. I'm starting to understand what I am seeing and I am able to adjust the texture UV on the two surfaces by selecting them and then moving them in the Texture Editor with the mouse. However I need to move them precisely by a fixed amount and as you might imagine that is not possible with the mouse. There is no manual text input to specify these adjustments like there is on the object level.

Firstly is there another way around this?

Secondly, can a future version of Ac3D give better control over textures? What would be so useful is if the texture command under the object menu was also under the Surface menu, so you could adjust the UV settings there too for specifically selected surfaces. Also if the Texture editor (F10) could have a manual input to a) show what the current values are and b) allow you to type new ones in.
Old 30th October 2004, 04:49 PM   #2
AndyH
Advanced member

Getting better with textures but I think the idea of having something to control textures under the surface menu is a must. Here's my ideas, any chance of seeing these in the next update?

1. Add a texture command to the surface menu with Set Texture Repeat/Offset

2. This to take you to the screen we have now for the same command under the object menu, but with these enhancements:

a) Ability to change Remap(ping) to Front (XY), Side (ZY), Top (XZ), Spherical as found ont he Texture Coordinate Editor.
b) The Rotate CW and CCW commands from the Texture Coordinate Editor.

As the Tile and UV offset would affect single surfaces (or groups of) this would be extremely powerful. At object and at surface level, this kind of control would be invaluable.

Here is a picture of the shape and texture control I am trying to make:

Essentially I start off with a simple texture over the whole thing, repeat it four times, then the two triangles (middle surface) I want to alter the texture, either by offset or by repeat setting etc differently to the texture on the two sides.

This is how I have had to do it so far - obect - texture command then use the Texture Coordindate Editor in a best guess fashion with the mouse.

This object is for a game BTW, and this object will be replicated and joined together, along with other objects, so it is important to get the texture positioning precise. Even more so as the texture has joining lines in it, it will stand out a mile with even the slightest mis-alignment.

Hope that explains where i am coming from and why I think it is essential to have more control over textures in Ac3D.