Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2007, 07:16 PM   #11
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: UVMAP Export & Live Update

Hmm - so you're getting a blank image then? Can you post a model that shows this behavior?

Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 07:39 PM   #12
luuckyy
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
I would also like to see instant live updates between working with AC3d and Photoshop. In other words, I want to see the changes I make in Photoshop instantly in AC3d...
This has been asked for months (years ?) but strangely has never been implemented
Old 6th October 2007, 08:33 PM   #13
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Well yes, I was wondering whether you made any houses/structures with AC3d for Second Life.....I've made some western objects in Maya and wanted to bring my creations into it..... here's an example of a small saloon I made awhile back..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Boy0Cxj02E
That's a cute video, Gus!

I have made quite a few houses\structures for Second Life; although for buildings I usually use AC3D just for texture planning instead of for sculpties, because sculpties tend to make soft corners.

Andy just released a triangle exporter you might want to check out:
http://slexchange.com/modules.php?na...&ItemID=382682
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 08:51 PM   #14
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuckyy View Post
This has been asked for months (years ?) but strangely has never been implemented
I've considered it myself, but the problem is that you would need a Photoshop plug-in too.

Monitoring the disk for changes is easy (at least under Windows, don't know about Mac) but that only helps if you save the file. If you want it real-time without saving, you're going to need something in Photoshop to send an update... i.e. send the new texture data over the AC3D tcp\ip interface or the like.

A developer log-in to get the full Photoshop SDK is a $995, plus you need a license to the full version of Photoshop, which is another $649. So, you're talking nearly $2K before you've even gotten to write anything. Ouch. And then, what about all the people using Corel or other programs?

Personally, I'd much rather forgo Photoshop entirely and see "paint on model" implemented, like ZBrush. It is *much* more intuitive than 2D texturing can ever be, and virtually eliminates problems like seams. Moreover, I'm pretty confident it can be implemented without too much pain using decal projections the same way games do shadowmapping.
Old 6th October 2007, 11:20 PM   #15
Gus
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hmm - so you're getting a blank image then? Can you post a model that shows this behavior?

Thanks,
Dennis

Oddly enough, before I was gonna upload a model I tested for last time and it worked, so I guess this case is closed.

Quote:
Unwrap3d does this quite nicely and the author told me he's headed towards making Unwrap3d to support 3d modeling, but wouldn't want to wait a long time for that. I think its a dream to have all the right features all in one package. Aside from using external renderers I think its best to have a built in renderer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
That's a cute video, Gus!

Thanks Lisa!

I have made quite a few houses\structures for Second Life; although for buildings I usually use AC3D just for texture planning instead of for sculpties, because sculpties tend to make soft corners.

Would you have an example template that your currently using in Second Life? If so, can I see it in Second Life?

Andy just released a triangle exporter you might want to check out:
http://slexchange.com/modules.php?na...&ItemID=382682
Yes, I saw that....somehow am having a hard time downloading...I keep clicking on the "Validate Purcahse" but nothing happens...
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 07:36 AM   #16
luuckyy
Professional user

Quote:
I've considered it myself, but the problem is that you would need a Photoshop plug-in too...
I think that most of the people would be happy with a simple disk changes monitoring.
As Gus said, UU3D does it perfectly.

This said, I'm not really speaking for me here, because in fact I use UU3D for nearly all my UV mapping jobs.
Since a few months I also use Deep Paint 3D from Right Hemisphere for painting in 2D/3D, in real-time. It's a cool software, it still needs a little bit of improvements (like a real perspective camera (I hate orthographic ones )). And it comes with a plugin for Photoshop which I don't use because I don't own Photoshop (I love my good old Paint Shop Pro so much ).
Old 10th October 2007, 01:06 AM   #17
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
I think that most of the people would be happy with a simple disk changes monitoring.
**Your wish is granted.**

You can download the texture disk monitor plug-in here:
http://independentdeveloper.com/arch...exture_monitor

You'll need to enable TCP\IP for it to work; there's more instructions in the readme. Enjoy!
Old 10th October 2007, 01:32 AM   #18
Gus
Advanced member

Quote:
**Your wish is granted.**

You can download the texture disk monitor plug-in here:
http://independentdeveloper.com/arch...exture_monitor

You'll need to enable TCP\IP for it to work; there's more instructions in the readme. Enjoy!
Thanks for this, alot more productive, but would have been nicer with automatic updating....still better than nothing!
Old 10th October 2007, 01:39 AM   #19
luuckyy
Professional user

Awesome Lisa It works perfectly.
Thank you VERY much !

@Gus : the texture is automatically updated if you choose to, read a bit more the readme file coming in the zip file
Old 10th October 2007, 01:43 AM   #20
Gus
Advanced member

Quote:
Awesome Lisa It works perfectly.
Thank you VERY much !

@Gus : the texture is automatically updated if you choose to, read a bit more the readme file coming in the zip file
Duh, I overlooked that,,,sorry. :grin: Brilliant!