Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2007, 04:53 PM   #1
coanda
Expert member

Default Extend surface to intersect another surface.....

Hi guys.....

Heres somthing that would make my life easier!

I'd like to be able to extend a surface until a surface edge (or vertex.....) intersects the nearest surface......so......in the attached pic, I'd like to be able to extend the upper edge of the yellow surfaces until they intersect with the upper red surface (if that makes sense!).

Can this be done already? Have I missed somthing?

Cheers!

Coanda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	532  

coanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 11:24 AM   #2
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Re: Extend surface to intersect another surface.....

The "Move toward" plugin could help you here (by moving your yellow surfaces vertices 100% toward the above red surfaces).
Old 27th October 2007, 12:30 PM   #3
coanda
Expert member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.....
Old 31st October 2007, 12:28 PM   #4
coldby
Professional user

Why don't you try extending the first surface beyond the second one, then using the latter as a knife and eventually getting rid of the exceeding part?
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 04:46 PM   #5
coanda
Expert member

luucky - no joy unfortunately, the plugin has its uses but not here....

coldby - That is my usual method for intersecting complex objects in order to make neat joints. The boolean ops don't work on these structures very well (if at all....). The knifing can only effectively be done by dividing the surfaces of the objects a great deal - this wastes allot of time clearing up the excessive numbers of surfaces. I was just hoping for a great deal quicker 'included' method, one that I quite like is included in solid edges 3d modeller....

I think things could be better if boolean operations were not required to be made from solids.

coanda
Old 1st November 2007, 03:15 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by coanda View Post
I think things could be better if boolean operations were not required to be made from solids.coanda
I agree. There's an older version of the boolean plug-in that is floating around as well as the knife plug-in on supercoldmilk.com that lifts this requirement.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:30 AM   #7
coldby
Professional user

coanda:
there must be a Poltergeist or three in the booleans of AC3D: sometimes they perform quite OK, other times you have to darn a few stray vertices and surfaces but the result is still usable, every now and then you'll better find an alternate way if you want to retain a modicum of sanity.
Even more disconcerting, they appear to work somewhat better in my office (on an old piece of crap under Win2000) than at home (on a brand new 2.2GHz dual core under WinXP) - and don't ask if it's because of the operating system or the hardware crapness for I haven't the slightest idea.
I already pestered poor Andy on the matter and I guess he's now quite fed up with me and my boolean obsessions

lisa:
forget about the old booleans, I've been trying to use them for nearly one year without being able to squeeze anything really reasonable out of them
However Dennis' good ol' knife works all right and is a fine tool if I ever saw one.
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:33 PM   #8
luuckyy
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by coanda View Post
luucky - no joy unfortunately, the plugin has its uses but not here...
Sorry to hear that, maybe I haven't correctly understood your request by looking at the picture you've attached.
I did make a small test on my side the other day, and it worked (again in the way I thought it was supposed to).
It might or not help you, but when moving toward surfaces, I found that these surfaces have to be planar, otherwise the result isn't correct.
Good luck !
Old 2nd November 2007, 07:50 PM   #9
coanda
Expert member

Thats pretty much it luucky - the point moved to for a surface is not the actual projected interception of the 'subject' surface onto the 'target' surface if that makes any sense....the good thing is, is that its another tool in the 'ol box....

coldby - yeah, sometimes you get sensible answers and sometimes you don't....sometimes it spits back errors related to the fact that the operation only works with solids (when I mainly use extruded surfaces) which is my main problem. I have to say that I avoid boolean operations whereever possible, as the answer they produce really don't make much sense and require allot of cleaning up, so I try to design around that particular limitation. Bit of a let down in what is an otherwise brilliant program.

Cheers

Coanda
Old 6th November 2007, 05:48 AM   #10
coldby
Professional user

Default More misteries

Hi coanda,

<sometimes it spits back errors related to the fact that the operation only works with solids (when I mainly use extruded surfaces)>

Why the hell do booleans work (though imperfectly) with extruded surfaces too, at least on my office computer???
I haven't dreamt of it, I just checked a few minutes ago: extruded surface [do not remove original - cap end]; cube off-the-shelf; boolean subtract [surface - cube]; result: impeccable (!)
Second try: other extruded and capped surface subtracted from previous result; outcome acceptable if not perfect (just one misplaced vertex).

What do you think, shall I start looking for a three-legged table?

Cheers

coldby