Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd October 2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Snow
Advanced member

Default Re: Disable Sorting in the Hierarchy Window

- Divide loop (even if just 1 surface is selected and divide loop can't be done). Divide loop is also removing the object name.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Snow
Advanced member

Copy and Paste - inserts the new object at the top of the hierarchy.
Duplicate also inserts at the top.

Why not right above or below the originating object?
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:36 PM   #13
papamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Which functions are you using to modify objects that are causing the hierarchy to get messed up? Are they in AC3D and/or the X-Plane plugin?
Snow and Stiglr's replies cover the most common problem areas. All of them are in AC3D but adversely affects the way the X-Plane Plugin exports the objects into X-Plane unless we manually resort the hierarchy. It's really a PITA when working with glass objects and hotspots.
papamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

OK, had a look at this. Fixed the Merge function so that the new (combined) object now resides where the first object was.

Booleans and Divide-Loop, I can look at.

Not sure what you mean by 'removing surfaces' - which specific function affects the hierarchy?

Functions like Duplicate could cause problems since it is possible to select and duplicate multiple objects/surfaces/vertices from all over the entire hierarchy at once. I feel that the main menu Cut/Copy and Paste function work as they should.

A better solution may be to add popup menu items on the hierarchy for Paste - i.e. 'Paste-here'? Even then, the AC3D clipboard may contain a whole hierarchy of stuff. A popup 'Duplicate' that duplicates a single object from the hierarchy might be the best way to handle duplication?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Stiglr
Professional user

Well, if we're opening up the Heriarchy Window for triage.... and I think it is necessary...

One thing I've always thought should be there, but isn't, is the ability to drag-and-drop items from wherever they are, to wherever you want them. It's *incredibly* tedious to be limited to "Move to Top" "Move to Bottom" and Nudge Up/Down. In a complex model with hundreds of objects, and the need to set up parent/child relationships, reordering the list should be much easier and more efficient.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Snow
Advanced member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by 'removing surfaces' - which specific function affects the hierarchy?
Deleting surfaces. -- Edit --> Delete or backspace key.

Quote:
Functions like Duplicate could cause problems since it is possible to select and duplicate multiple objects/surfaces/vertices from all over the entire hierarchy at once. I feel that the main menu Cut/Copy and Paste function work as they should.
Here's a picture of the hierarchy of an imported cockpit object. Let's assume, I don't have the original AC3D file, but I want to customize the cockpit. Just duplicating a switch, move it a little bit and assign a new function.
As I don't have the original file, I imported the X-Plane object. All names are gone. Animation groups are simply named 'Animation'. The desired object is somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy. If duplicating is moving the new item to the top of the list, it's a real pain to get it where it has to be (for example because of the drawing order or a similar reason). It is impossible to drag something between two groups - it's always moved into one group - either the group above or the one below.

My suggestion is to insert the new object right above the originating object.
If several objects were duplicated, insert them above the one that was chosen first (that's already an established procedure in AC3D)

Quote:
A better solution may be to add popup menu items on the hierarchy for Paste - i.e. 'Paste-here'? Even then, the AC3D clipboard may contain a whole hierarchy of stuff. A popup 'Duplicate' that duplicates a single object from the hierarchy might be the best way to handle duplication?
I'm not a friend of the popup menus in the hierarchy window - they're working so horribly slow.
Old 4th October 2012, 02:45 PM   #17
papamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
Well, if we're opening up the Heriarchy Window for triage.... and I think it is necessary...

One thing I've always thought should be there, but isn't, is the ability to drag-and-drop items from wherever they are, to wherever you want them. It's *incredibly* tedious to be limited to "Move to Top" "Move to Bottom" and Nudge Up/Down. In a complex model with hundreds of objects, and the need to set up parent/child relationships, reordering the list should be much easier and more efficient.
Agree! Drag and drop makes a lot of sense and would be a real time saver.
Old 4th October 2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Drag and drop already exists in the hierarchy. Try dragging the object name, the pointer should turn into a target thing.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Snow
Advanced member

But there's no automatic scrolling if you reach the top or bottom of the hierarchy window.
If you need to drag the item further, it's necessary, to drop it somewhere, scroll the window, search your item and drag it further, drop it somewhere, search your item and drag it further...

I wrote "search your item", because - as already mentioned - it isn't possible to drop something between two groups.
Old 4th October 2012, 03:26 PM   #20
papamac

Quote:
Drag and drop already exists in the hierarchy. Try dragging the object name, the pointer should turn into a target thing.
Sorry. I misspoke. I know that D&D exists, but it only works properly when working with individual objects. If you have multiple groups in the hierarchy, as we almost always do, & you try inserting a group between two other groups the dropped group ends up in one or the other of the adjacent groups.