Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2020, 02:45 AM   #1
oui
Expert member

Default AC3D performs very poorly

Hi, I've came back to modelling and using AC3D after a long hiatus, I use a Surface Book 2 with a GTX 1060 GPU as my daily driver, I wished to use AC3D so i can completely migrate fully to developing on my laptop, but the program is severely laggy, especially when you select/deselect or change selection mode. The issue persists regardless of what version.

I always have to revert back to my old late 2013 MacBook Pro to have it running smoothly, a super old version, 6 point something...so my workflow for X-Plane is fragmented, in that I dedicate modelling work to my old MBP and exporting it to blender to bake textures, and then to PS for texturing.

I assigned the laptop to use the dGPU when loading AC3D and it doesnt really improve the performance either. The program just works flawlessly on my 2013 MBP.
oui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D performs very poorly

Check the console when it starts, and see that it references Nvidia OpenGL. It's possible that it's not picking up the libraries and running in software rendering.

There is probably an NVidia control panel where you can force some programs to use Nvidia libraries.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 09:59 AM   #3
oui
Expert member

Hi Andy!

I've set AC3D to use the dGPU under "OpenGL rendering GPU", on the NVidia control panel, now the delay in selecting has been removed.

However it presents another issue: Whenever i expanded into one viewpoint, the screen doesnt move, regardless of what input I put into it. I tried clicking and dragging to move my view, or in 3D view I tried to rotate my view, but the expanded view freezes.

Is there any other option i need to change in the control panel?

Many thanks!
Old 24th May 2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Does the whole program lock up or does the window simply stop responding to mouse and keyboard events? What happens if you resize the window - does it start working again?
Old 24th May 2020, 10:30 AM   #5
oui
Expert member

Whenever I expand into a 2D or 3D view, the window simply expands like I'm scaling up an image in photoshop, the viewpoint gets pixellated. The rest of the UI works fine, the coordinates changes accordingly as I move my mouse in the window.

If I go back to the standard four-windowed view with front, side, plane, and 3d view, the windows function as normal. Intermittently, when I enlarge the window it does expand properly and I can control it like normal, changing views using the buttons on the top right of the UI would simply go back to the same issue of a blurry sclaed up image.

Resizing the window to not be fullscreen solves the issue strangely, as with reverting back to the main view (with four windows).
Old 24th May 2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

I've not heard of this before. It sounds like a graphics library related problem. Perhaps see if there are any Nvidia updates.
Old 25th May 2020, 03:49 AM   #7
oui
Expert member

Hi Andy,

I think I figured out the problem. I believe on my end, AC3D doesnt support HI-DPI displays. So my Surface Book 2 has a 15 inch display with a resolution of 3240 x 2160. I suspected that the window resizing solving the issue has something to do with the app not being able to render at full size.

I've installed the Intel Graphics Command Center and reduce the screen resolution to 50% (1604 x 1070) and the issue went away. I have a feeling this isn't the full answer, but just to let you know!
Old 25th May 2020, 04:38 AM   #8
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Very interesting. I can't think of any limits in the program, other than graphics memory. I wonder if there's a maximum size of a window? i.e. if you drag the divider (between the views) and expand one window gradually. If the window being expanded suddenly falters, that could indicate something. Glad you found a solution though.