Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th June 2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Texturing question

I'm having a hard time understanding one of the advanced texturing features, and am wondering if someone not so spatially challenged as myself can help me out.

I have a long hose that I wish to texture with a short, repeating texture, of which a swatch is on a much larger texture. I assign the hose to reference the texture file, and then I go to the TCE to apply the texture. How do I arrange it so that I can apply the texture to repeat (say along the Z axis, up and down, if the segments of the hose's 3D shape are varied (in particular I have one very long segment that I would want the texture to appear on 5 or 6 times along that length...)

I've tried using some of the features in the menus and the plugins, such as UV Map and Plantex, and these either tile the texture in my TCE display (which is the opposite of what I want to do) or apply some other weird results. I tried playing with these, but they don't always support real time updates, so it's hard to get a grip on what they can do.

I need to understand what I need to do here.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Texturing question

Welcome to the horror that is texturing cables/pipes. If they aren't straight pipes aligned along an axis, I don't know of a non-manual way to do the texturing.

I end up just rotating/moving the cable's vertices in the TCE to get it aligned with the texture --- see the attachment, hopefully that will help. In the attachments, I first did a Front mapping, then I just started rotating/moving vertices.

However, this will *not* give you a cylindrical mapping along the cable. It's just a cheap workaround I use.

I'd be very interested to hear of there are good alternatives to what both Stiglr and I are trying to accomplish here.

BTW Stiglr, the UV Map plugin should be showing your updates in realtime if you check the Realtime button --- let me know if that's not working. You can actually ditch the Plantex plugin --- the "Global coordinates" mapping in UV Map does the same thing as Plantex used to, only a little better.
Attached Images

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote