Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Grale

Default Surface errors/lines

This is a model i created 4 years ago, i remember starting it in lightwave and i seem to remember using ALOT of boolean cuts ect.. to create the cut outs in the model. then i had to export into 3dsmax so i was able to eport to Realflight rc sim.

Now the question is what are all thes connecting lines between the vertices, and is it possible to clean these up and remove them so i have only one face as i did when i started the model as all of these lines create multiple faces!

Thanks for any help.

Grale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Terry Capps
Professional user

Default Re: Surface errors/lines

The lines between the vertices define separate surfaces. AC3D frequently represents surfaces with complex shapes as a collection of rectangles and triangles. Boolean operations typically produce lots of triangles. You may be able to combine some of these surfaces if they lie in the same plane although sometimes it is easier to select all the surfaces (if they lie in the same plane) and do a "surface - delete surface only". Then select the vertices, around the periphery of the surfaces, in a counter-clockwise (or clockwise) order and then do a Vertex, Create Ordered Surface. This will work for some shapes, but won't for very complex shapes like all the way around a hole. You can still use the technique, but may have to settle for two or three surfaces instead of just one.
Terry Capps is offline   Reply With Quote