Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd October 2003, 01:42 PM   #1
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Default Is it wrong of me to

Scour the internet for other 3D modeling tools just for their tutorials so I can figure out how to do what they did and do it in AC3d ? :lol:
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Is it wrong of me to

Nope! Whilst adding the subdivision surfaces in AC3D - I looked for tips on how to build models using subdivisions. (essentially, keep everything quads and use extrude, bevel and indent to add extra details).

Please feel free to write your own AC3D tutorials and add them on here!

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Cowboybebop
Professional user

I have never written a tutorial before but I will try once I am comfortable enough with them. I just need to record them as I figure out, do it a few times and then clean them up a bit. That way I can hopefully answer some questions, either way it's like a double learning experience because I'm sure people will have questions.

Oh yeah I'm not good at bevels and indents can you give me a quick explaination on those. When I use them my model get's worse, I'm kind of excited you asked me to do this but at the same time a little anxious. I know for people to be attracted the models will have to look good, so maybe after I get like 5 or so done Someone like woody or razor could step in and build on them. Calling it the Advanced version while mine is the basic one.
Old 23rd October 2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Please don't worry about writing tutorials. Whatever level of experience you have, it's good to write a tutorial and show others what you do. If I write a tutorial,l I probably assume a lot of knowledge - it's very hard to step back and see it from a beginners point of view. So more tutorials written by beginners would be great.

To see Bevel in action, make a cube, select one surface and press 'b'. (or select the menu item to adjust the settings first)

In surface and vertex mode, the new central surface is selected so you can move or scale this. Some keys that were not documented in the manual are useful here:

+ and - move the select surface/s in the direction it is facing

[ ] and { } - scale the selection (although some of the alpha testers with other keyboards discovered that they can't use this).

Indent is simply a flat bevel.

Andy
Old 24th October 2003, 12:59 AM   #5
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Thanks again andy,

I had a good one going, somehow I convinced myself to model a head :lol:, anyway I got going on it and it was actually coming together decently. I had the shape of the head a ear, mouth, a eye(sort of:lol and just needed to smooth out the back of the head, cheeks and fix that eye up :P then all of sudden I locked up. And I did not save ops:

I am going to PM you on what happened with that Andy, it wasn't AC3d that locked me me up I'm 100% sure of that. Ac3d is very stable and haven't given me any problems.

Well the good news is I learned a lot, and was hoping to learn more and that I will include a little list of common sense things to check before you start and to save regulary. :idea:

Edit: Just needed to clarify things
Old 31st October 2003, 11:37 PM   #6
Cowboybebop
Professional user

I feel like a nut making a head and one came with ac3d ops:

update: I went thru all the models and kicked myself for not coming up with some idea's(like that octupuss) well I saw the desk on and thought that's a good idea. So I'm going to try doing a desk tutorial of my desk, I have already modeled it just need to trace the steps.
Old 3rd November 2003, 04:01 PM   #7
Cowboybebop
Professional user

The desk tutorial is done, it's rough poorly written though I was very tired when I typed it up. Would you like to proof read it andy before I post it and or make changes ? It's in a star office file if you want it.
Old 3rd November 2003, 04:46 PM   #8
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

OK - please send it to me.

thanks,

Andy
Old 3rd November 2003, 06:47 PM   #9
Cowboybebop
Professional user

sent, feedback would be nice. How was it ?
Old 4th November 2003, 12:58 PM   #10
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Have you checked you email? - I sent a reply after I reviewed it.

Andy