Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2009, 05:38 AM   #1
amateur_78

Question Special Texture Mapping possible?

Hy All,

I'm Andreas, from Switzerland and first: sorry for my english.

So I've got some trouble with texturing my 3D-Objects. I know about the texture-coordinate-editor and parts of the uv-mapping. But I want another result. So I've done some pictures to illustrate, what I exactly want:

First of all, the 3D-Object. For example this dolphin:

http://andipage.piranho.de/picture1.jpg

Now I got this dolphin as a 3D Object in AC3D. So I want to texture it with the following Pictures from Side-/Front-/Top-View and maybe others. so here some Pictures as well:

Side-View-Texture:

http://andipage.piranho.de/picture2.jpg

Top-View-Texture:

http://andipage.piranho.de/picture3.jpg

Front-View-Texture:

http://andipage.piranho.de/picture4.jpg

So these are my texture-sources. now I want to map them to my object like in the following picture:

http://andipage.piranho.de/picture5.jpg

But I haven't got any idea how to do that! Is it possible to overlay and map them to the 3d-object like in the last picture??
I don't know and this is my first question here, and I'd be glad If anybody could help me . (And please ask if something isn't clear to you, i try my best to imagine it to you)

Andreas

PS: Normally I create aeroplanes like this: http://andipage.piranho.de/vorschau3dfinish.jpg
on my website: http://ebi.ch.st/
amateur_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Special Texture Mapping possible?

Yes, definitely.

What you need to do is highlight the faces that you want attached to each texture (i.e. just the yellow faces, or just the orange faces) and then planar map them in the TCE from the direction of the texture. Then, take the sections you want from each of your images and stitch them together in your paint program into one big image to overlay the areas you mapped in the TCE.

I made this set of videos a while ago of me doing almost the exact thing you describe to a car instead of a dolphin:
http://www.inivis.com/forum/showpost...53&postcount=1
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 12:48 PM   #3
amateur_78

Post Re: Special Texture Mapping possible?

Hy lisa,

Thank's for your answer, but this is the way I did it until now . But now the Objects are getting so difficult (about 30'000 surfaces), so that it's almost impossible to get a invisible overlap between the crossing of two textures, for example top-texture and side-texture. And the other thing is, that I've got 'round' objects, so there's no specific borderline/frontier between side and top-surfaces, and this area makes trouble: so I wanted to map a texture over the whole object from the side, the top, the front ... and mix them together to one. As far as I'm concerned can't I overlay two textures to one surface, so there's always a ugly border/change of the two textures. So this is what I'm looking for, a function to mix/combine those textures, so that there's no noticable change .

but thank's for your reply anyway .

Greets:
Andreas
Old 28th October 2009, 03:26 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Ah, gotcha.

Have you tried a cylindrical or spherical map? Does it look any better?

The other possibility is to planar map, and then stitch the vertices together in the TCE. (Line up the sections and then snap the vertices together along the seam.) This will remove the problem of seams at the expense of some distortion of the map. This works very well for organic or highly textured surfaces, but it is poor for things like text and line art as there is usually some stretching.
Old 29th October 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
amateur_78

Question Re: Special Texture Mapping possible?

Hy,

Yeah, I tried this, and It works well if f.e. I select all surfaces in TCE in and 'remap' them with 'left' for example. then I load the Texture from the Left and It looks, like I want it. Now I got the problem: I want to do the same with 'remap'-ing all with 'right', 'front', 'back', 'top' and 'bottom' to mix them all to one texture for the object. But the Problem is, that I can only load ONE texture per Object and one surface can only be used ONCE (in TCE).

So I had another programm, in which I could do it like this: I could create an object, and then open a window, in which I could load in 8 textures (like in a cube), one for top, back, left...-textures, and then, the Programm mapped them from all the sides to this Object . But the Problem is, that I can't export/save the textures and coordinates of them in the 3D-file , so that I couldn't just open it with AC3D. Or is there any file-type, which exports the textures and their coordinates???

Thanks for your help:
Andreas
Old 29th October 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

Just for clarification... do you mean it was texture blending / multi-texturing, or something else?

Some 3D programs may let you do that, although that's not typically how its done. (unless I am still misunderstanding what you are asking?)

Usually the blending happens in the texture--done with a paint program--like so:
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2009, 02:00 PM   #7
amateur_78

Unhappy Re: Special Texture Mapping possible?

hy there,

I think there's no chance to do, what I wanted. (just to define 6 pictures and then, AC3D maps them all at this one object (like a cube: from top, bottom, front, back, left and right).

So there's only one hope left: Is there any file-type (f.e: .3ds, .obj, .ac .......or any other) which also saves the textures of the object and their position ??? so that I could do the texturing in another programm and then export the finished object in a file-type and then I could import this in AC3D and load the textures, and they would have the right coordinates ?????????????

Thanks
Andreas

Last edited by amateur_78; 31st October 2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 2nd November 2009, 04:07 PM   #8
lisa
Professional user

No. All of the 3D formats you mention work the same way as AC3D does internally. One texture per mesh.

...Can you split your object into more than one mesh, though? i.e. Select the surfaces, then click cut away object, then apply the texture. That would be another typical way to accomplish what you want.
Old 4th November 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
amateur_78

No this with one texture per object is clear. but is there a export-mode (like .3ds, .obj or others), which also saves the textures and their position in it?
(f.e: I take blender and create a cube, load a texture and position it with the TCE in there. then I could export it (??) so I can import it to AC3D, then apply the texture and the positioning I've done before would be there?????????)
Old 4th November 2009, 05:24 PM   #10
lisa
Professional user

Er... I'm suspecting maybe I'm not understanding the question clearly... I apologize.

OBJ file format is good for moving between AC3D and other apps, and it preserves texture coordinates. 3DS will preserve coordinates as well, but it triangulates the model which is sometimes undesirable (unless the model is already triangles only). LWO also works pretty well. I've pulled Lightwave models into AC3D this way, but I believe Blender will write any of these formats as well.