Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th June 2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Dave Dubienski

Default Having MAJOR issue getting things exported

I am having a hell of a time getting thing exported out of AC3D and to look right in Second Life. I take a simple Cylinder take half off, export, uploaded it to SL and it's all out of wack. Can anyone tell me the steps to use, before EXPORTING for Sl upload. This is costing me $L each time. HELP.....!!!!
Dave Dubienski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 01:07 AM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Having MAJOR issue getting things exported

Hi Dave!

You can find a couple of different guides here:
http://www.inivis.com/secondlifesculpted.html
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...rom_existing_3

The important thing is that you UV map your object first. If it's not UV mapped correctly, it won't work.

To save some $L, don't forget you can preview the image in the upload window *before* you upload. When you select your image in Second Life, choose "preview as: sculpted prim" to see what it will look like before you actually upload the file. If it doesn't look right, you can click cancel without spending anything. Also, you can often preview things for free by connecting to the SL beta grid instead of the main grid.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Dave Dubienski

Thank U for getting back to be so fast. I hate to be a pain. I read the items you suggested. I select a simple Circle hit F10 to look at the texture. It has long bar with points on each bar top. I export it and look in SL upload Sclupty view. Th ball is round and has 2 long point coming out it's side. I don't know what my major problem is in getting my arms around something that should be VERY EASY. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Old 28th June 2008, 05:05 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

It's the points at the top that are causing you the problem. The texture map has to fill 100% of the space, with NO holes whatsoever.

There are some shapes that come with the plug-in that are pre-mapped, including a sphere. If you look at the sphere that comes with the plug-in and compare it to the default sphere, you'll see the difference.

The shapes that come with the plugin are a good starting point for modelling, as they save you some time on texturing.

Here are some additional base shapes to play with, you can see how these are mapped:
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...pted-prims.zip

I think I still have a copy of them sitting out in-world behind the townhouses in Areumdeuli if you want to see what they look like. (Teleport routing is on, blech, so it will drop you in the center of the sim. Walk east from the pond and look in the backyard/alley between the two brownstones.)
Old 28th June 2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Dave Dubienski

THANK U..!! Those work muck better and export out fine. Is there a place for other shapes like torus, ring, or what ever? Again you have been a great help.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:02 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

Torus attached! I made this by starting with a ring and using the replicator tool to revolve it around the origin.

I know there's more base shapes floating around on the SL forums.

For shapes like a torus, you'll need to change the mapping mode in SL with a script. SL's default mapping mode for sculpted prims is spherical, which means it must wrap in both directions. However, you can change it with LSL if you want other wrapping modes. SL supports sphere, torus, cylindrical and planar wrapping modes.

Here's the script I used for the torus:

Code:
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_TYPE, PRIM_TYPE_SCULPT, "993093da-9f46-b62d-5360-093a50cd6bd2", PRIM_SCULPT_TYPE_TORUS]);
    }
}
To use this for your own shapes, replace the texture id with your own texture name or id.
Attached Files
File Type: zip torus.zip (17.4 KB, 512 views)
Old 28th June 2008, 11:42 PM   #7
Dave Dubienski

Thank U...!! again for all your help.
Old 29th June 2008, 02:58 AM   #8
lisa
Professional user

You're welcome. Anytime!
Old 28th August 2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Antario Denja

puhhh.. i think i do give up. I really love AD3C and i very fast learned to work with, gratulation on this good software. But my main goal is to import into SL, which, for now two long and hard days I wouldnt succed to do. I seem to have read all forumposts in the net, read the manual, even reread this post (and other related) more than once: i dont seem to find the mistake. Even with the included shapes (referred to in this posting) my sculpts are all, again and again, goofed. Even if i just import one of the included shapes. Even these are broken.
I tried to remap via TCE, tried to build an own map. Tried to find these damn holes everyone talks about, close them in every way i could think of. No success.
I am sure, that i do make a manifest misthinking, but after two long days, my brain is dry.

I must really think wrong. The only explanation. If else, every one would resignate like me. What am i doing wrong?
I open a predifined shape, Export it as SL sculpted prim (without changing it), import the image into SL, allready in preview the shape is broken.
Is there somewhere a "hey-I-dont-no-much-about" help to be found somewhere about understanding UV Maps?
Very many thanks for help,

Antario

p.s.: one good thing. Trying so hard every function to solve my problem made me really fast learn the software :-)

Last edited by Antario Denja; 28th August 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Antario Denja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Antario Denja

Here i included pictures of every step i made.
Step one, building out of a included SL-Shape, cube, using "Sculpty Extrude" only.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2806626336/

Step two. UV - Map, choosing spherical, "Apply and close". Open TCE, change nothing. Export as "Second life sculpted prim".
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2805777129/

Sep three. Import Image in SL, "build" a cube, apply the texture map. And result. Hrmpf.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29521483@N07/2805777259/

I know not, what i make wrong...

Antario
Antario Denja is offline   Reply With Quote