Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd June 2006, 07:33 AM   #1
coldby
Professional user

Default spiral spring: am I drawning in a glass of water?

Drawing a spiral coil: before I tryed I was bluntly sure that a few mouse clicks would do it. Now I'm not as sure anymore.
Mind you, not a helicoid, a true spiral: the radius gradually increasing or decreasing, but all on the same plane - the kind of spring you still find in old-fashioned mechanical clocks or toys.
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: spiral spring: am I drawning in a glass of water?

I thought there *may* have been a way to do this using Replicator --- I can't see a way to offset the extrusions where they make a spiral, however...

I needed this functionality a while back, and as it wasn't in AC3D already, I ended up getting "Spiralizer":

http://www.armanisoft.ch/webdesign/FrmDownloads.html

Scroll to the bottom section and click that Spiralizer link if you don't understand German.

It exports to DXF, which loads nicely into AC3D. Good workaround until there's a way to do this natively in AC3D...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
captainj2410
Professional user

You could still do it manually by moving the vertices in a helicoid inward while still keeping close to the same plane they were on and keeping an eye on the distance moved display.
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 08:42 AM   #4
coldby
Professional user

Thanks folks, mostly for confirming that the Alzheimer hasn't had me yet And, Dennis, thanks for Spiralizer - guess I'll have it downloaded and tested before the Sunday's over.
Anyway I muddled through by applying the old-fashioned trick (from the times of ruler and ink) of drawing a set of concentric circles with decreasing radii, deleting three quarters of each, rotating and assembling together the remaining arcs, drawing (manually!) a path along the vertices and then eventually extruding the cross-section along the latter. Pretty dirty indeed, and it took a helluva time - but the final result really looked like a spiral.
Old 25th June 2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Dennis
Professional user

One other method worth considering:

To mimic the 2d shape of a spiral in AC3D, I followed the steps from the attached image:

1. I pulled the image of a spiral off the web ( http://images.google.com/images?q=spiral )
2. Loaded the image in the AC3D Front view using Ortho -> Set Background Image, then traced the spiral image using a Line.
3. Subdivided the Line.

The Spiralizer will be better if you're going for more mathematic precision, or for spiraling the spring "upward", but this is probably a faster/easier way to get a basic spiral...
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2006, 12:22 PM   #6
eldonb
Advanced member

Dennis,

Could this be a need for a more "generalization" of your wave plugin?
eldonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Dennis
Professional user

I'm not sure of the math for making a spiral, but it may very well work...

I would love to revisit the Wave plugin for this plus a few other things. It's a little clumsy now because all waveforms are based off of 0,0,0, forcing you to move your geometry there...

I would like to modify it to fix that issue, show a realtime-preview, and shape wavelengths based on the size of the selected geometry (so you can, for example, issue 1 wave, 2 waves, 3.5 waves, etc instead of havng to calculate it out yourself manually).

Perhaps with these changes, I could introduce other waveforms as well, possibly spirals...

I'm in the middle of a few other projects now, but this may be forthcoming later on.
Old 26th June 2006, 04:10 AM   #8
coldby
Professional user

Default spiral math

Hi Dennis,
the math of a spiral is as easy as you wish it to be - but in polar coordinates

The simplest one is (rho) = a (theta) [ sorry, can't manage Greek letters here], a docile and tame linear spiral also known as Archimede's.

Then there's the one used by snails, looking like (rho) = exp (k (theta)): the larger the animal, the faster it grows - at least until it meets a hungry Frenchman.

If you want to make the latter more realistic you might as well consider that an element of cross-section has anyway to accommodate only a slice of the animal, thus make it (rho) = exp (k (theta)) ^ (2/3) [one dimension falls off].

However if you want it really complicated and interesting, the only limit is your fantasy. Unless you're married, of course - then the first unobjectionable obstacle would be your wife
Old 26th June 2006, 04:21 AM   #9
coldby
Professional user

Default Just slightly off-topic

Speaking of guide-paths for extruding objects, every now and then it would be convenient doing it in parts (as for my fake arc-contrived spiral) and then assembling and merging the paths together before extruding. But AC3D seems not to like it: either a single monolithic path or nothing.
Is there a way to get a single path out of a set of sub-paths?

And, more generally: is there a way to melt permanently a set of several objects into a single one? Apparently merging them won't do: although you may not split them back anymore, AC3D seems to remember even too well that they haven't been born as a single entity.
Old 26th June 2006, 06:50 AM   #10
Dennis
Professional user

Thanks for the formulae, coldby

There's no way I know to combine multiple line surfaces --- you can get them into one object, even optimize out the dupe vertices, but the only way to convert them to a single line that I know of is a manual process:

1. select your two line segments
2. perform an Object -> Merge
3. ensure two of the vertices where the surfaces meet are in the same location (select them and use Vertex -> Snap Together)
4. perform an Object -> Optimize Vertices to get rid of the dupe vertex
4. select both lines and perform a Surface -> Remove Surface Only. This will leave your vertices intact, but will remove the lines.
5. in Vertex mode, select each vertex one at a time in the order you want them in your final line
6. perform a Vertex -> Create Ordered Surface
7. set the Surface Type to Line using the buttons in the bottom left of the AC3D interface

Would be nice to get a built-in utility to merge lines...