Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th April 2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Michael Wilson
Expert member

Default how to merge parts for 3D printing

ive used ac3d a lot but this is my first 3D printing project, how do make sure the parts will be printed as one piece, for example if i highlight wings and fuselage and click on merge does that mean the printer will print the fuselage and wings together as one piece? or is there more i have to do to make sure the wings are not seen as a separate part and fall off the fuselage?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	3012  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1003.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	3013  

Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 11:42 PM   #2
jentron
Professional user

Default Re: how to merge parts for 3D printing

Preparing a model for 3D printing, that was not built to be printed, is not a simple task. With some exceptions, the entire model needs to be a continuous mesh. Further, there needs to be an inside and an outside.

I know Shapeways.com charges per cubic centimeter of material used, so non-hollow shapes cost way more than hollowed shapes. They also have a tutorial section at http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials

The tool chain in AC3D for 3d printing is pretty much in its infancy.

-There is a new plug-in for 7.2.17 that detects edges that do not have exactly two surfaces attached. It does not detect other problems like flipped normals and intersecting planes.
-The extrude by normal tool doesn't always generate parallel surfaces so its hard to make an "inside" surface in some cases.
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Edymnion
Professional user

Default Re: how to merge parts for 3D printing

You don't really need to worry about making hollows inside the model. Any half way decent software is going to have infill settings that auto-generate the correct hollow spaces and scaffoldings inside the "solid" object.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote