Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th November 2018, 04:11 PM   #1
cpot

Default New to AC3D from Sketchup

Hello,

I was modeling some X-Plane scenes several years ago on Sketchup. It seems that their pricing model is not for me anymore (700$!)

Therefore i tried again Blender and almost rejected it. Terrible user experience.

And I found AC3D which looks very promising to replace Sketchup.

However, after loading one of my X-plane object, I cannot put a different texture on 2 opposite surfaces. The weird thing is that it works for almost all walls but not one.

When i ask to show Normals, on the problematic object (bended wall), normals are only on one side.

Does someone have any clue. I really want to buy this software at the end of the trial.

On a side note, another (small) problem is that the plugin can't handle LIGHT_SPILL_CUSTOM

Best,
Chris
cpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: New to AC3D from Sketchup

You can have one texture per object (a set of surfaces/vertices).

If you want a surface to be visible from both sides, you'll need to duplicate it and then flip the normals of one side, so the normals face outwards. Once you've done this, you can edit the texture map of the new surface so that it uses a different part of the texture.

Post a sample pic if you are still having problems.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
cpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You can have one texture per object (a set of surfaces/vertices).

If you want a surface to be visible from both sides, you'll need to duplicate it and then flip the normals of one side, so the normals face outwards. Once you've done this, you can edit the texture map of the new surface so that it uses a different part of the texture.

Post a sample pic if you are still having problems.
It worked perfectly for one wall not the other. I really don't see any differences. I use 'Select Surface' => 'Connected' . Could this be the problem ?

Note: in fact i had to select the inner surface then clic on "1S" and then i was able to have 1 texture on each side of the wall

On a side note, how can it see that a surface is duplicated ? Having normals going on 2 opposite directions ? Or is it another way to discover it

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by cpot; 6th November 2018 at 02:50 PM.
cpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

If multiple surfaces use the same vertices, select-connected will select them all. It's not a good idea to have two surfaces in exactly the same place (which they would be if you are using the same vertices). Use Surface->Optimize-surface to remove duplicates.

If you've got normal lines coming from both sides then there's more than one surface present. Even 2-sided surfaces will only ever have one normal.

A quick way to check is to click-select (to select the closest surface) and drag that surface aside. If there's another underneath you should see it (unless it's using the same vertices, in which case it will have moved as well!). Use Undo (control+z) to undo the movement.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote