Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th February 2009, 04:35 AM   #1
Rabbitsoy

Default Second Life Sculpty Question

I searched through the forums several times, and I haven't seen anyone with my problem that I am having...but here I go.

I made a pretty detailed sculpty with AC3D. I decided I wanted to see it in SL. So what I did was commit the subdivisions, and then I went to export it out. After exporting it out, the UV map turns out to be full of holes... ugh. So, I been trying my hardest, but I don't understand how to fix it or get rid of the holes.

Is there a certain method to doing this or do I need to redo the whole thing and not add a single extra vertex or side? I came into this program thinking that that wouldn't matter with how AC3D explained on the Second Life part of their page. I will be disappointed if I have to be as careful as I have to be in Blender and the god awful Wings3D...

Thanks in advanced for any help or ideas!
Rabbitsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 02:01 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Second Life Sculpty Question

You need to check your UV map in the texture coordinate editor. (Tools > Texture Coordinate Editor)

If it's just a couple of spots, you should be able to move the surfaces in the TCE to fix it. You don't need to change your geometry, just tweak the map in the TCE.

Otherwise, you can use any of the mapping tools in the TCE or the UV Map tool to remap the shape. Spherical or cylindrical are usually the best starting points, but it depends on the shape.

Can you post an image of your shape and your UV map?

This tutorial map help:
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...rom_existing_3
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
MavConstantine

Question Re: Second Life Sculpty Question

I can not seem to get any shape to work in SL, I import it and its a messy figure, nothing like what I make, other programs are using png, AC3D seems to use tga, could that be the problem ?

thx
MavConstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Hbing

I'm having an SL sculpty problem too!! I made a bar stool by drawing a line, snapping the top and bottom vertices to the grid in the center, then rotating. When I do a UV Map as Cylinder, then export to SL I have a barstool with a hole in the top. I've tried various different ways of doing the UV Map and all have odd results. What am I doing wrong...It looks so nice in AC3D.

Hbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 07:00 PM   #5
lisa
Professional user

Make sure your UV map has no holes, and that none of the surfaces are overlapping in the TCE. For a barstool made the way you describe, your cylindrical wrapping should go around the Y axis. For best results, even out the map in the TCE after you map it so that the finished sculpty is nice and smooth.

Attached is a sample so you can see how I constructed it, with a picture of my in-world settings for the model.

EDIT: Make sure you view my map in the TCE. That's the important part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barstool-sl.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	1474  

Attached Files
File Type: zip barstool.zip (18.7 KB, 260 views)
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote