Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th May 2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Merrie
Expert member

Question Set Pivot of an Object Questions

Hey all I'm trying to make a lever see the picture and I want to set the pivot point to where it indicates in the picture so it can be animated to move. Could I get a bit more help on how to actually move and set the pivot to that location?

On rotate you have a C option that seems to allow you to move a pivot point but it indicates it needs 2 vertex and I would like to snap my center to the single vertex on the handle.

I do have the pivot points showing so I can see them on the model and unchecked use object center. The handle has been merged as one large piece. Thanks for the help.

This is for a project for a client so I appreciate a fairly quick reply. Much Much thanks!
Attached Images

Merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Set Pivot of an Object Questions

If you want to use the object centre, set the value from Tools->Object-properties (loc x,y,z). To find the location of a vertex select it and look at the top of the main window.

If it's not axis aligned, make (two vertex) line that goes through the center of the pivot and use that to set the rotate axis.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Merrie
Expert member

Ok there is no Tools > Object Properties. There is a Tools > Object Properties Editor but its not real clear how to use it. Is there suppose to be a window that pops up or ? Not sure if there is anything in the manual for it.

Not exactly sure what you mean by Axis aligned, its the center vertex marked in the picture that I want it to rotate from. Right now its all one object. Do I need to make the wheel portion a separate object and then it would use center to rotate but will the rest of the arm follow it if it not connected?

What do you mean by make 2 vertex lines? Like a X? Isn't that already there in the center of the wheel portion marked in red?

Last edited by Merrie; 27th May 2016 at 02:25 PM.
Merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 05:59 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Select a single object, then use Tools > Object Properties Editor to set the loc x, y and z values. That will move the object center to the location you specify. If you are not seeing a window popup then it may be off-screen and you might need to reset your preferences.

The rotate mode allows you to rotate around the object center (the object's "loc") using the mouse. It will rotate around the axis you are looking down from e.g. rotating in the X, Y window, rotates around the Z axis. These rotations are 'axis-aligned'.

If you want to rotate around a different axis, you can make a single line object (i.e. a two vertex line), or select any two vertices. The line between the two vertices is be used to specify the axis of rotation when using the "C" rotation (press C on the Rotate section in the control panel, and then press "set axis" (making sure the line you made is selected). The info at the bottom of the window will let you know that AC3D got the vertices ok. Then set the angle you want your object to rotate around this axis and, making sure the stuff you want to rotate, not the line, is selected) press rotate.

This looks more complicated written down than it is to do. Let me know how you get on.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pivot, point, rotation