Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2012, 02:33 AM   #1
blackjak
Advanced member

Default Content creation

I have this object I got online and want to put it into my games object editor.

Below is info from the game. I can't figure out how to get this specific hierarchy as I only have one object, and have no idea how to create the material file, as near as I can tell it's suppose to be in notepad.

Can anyone help a fella who wants to learn?

Creating Shapes in ac3d

The Aces High Object Creator Uses a specific hierarchy to build master shapes.

As follows:
===========
World
Group "Model"
Group "Objects"
Group"STR0"
Object "WHATEVER" /* this can be a living
shape */
Object "WHATEVER2" /* if there is a dead shape,
it would be this object
with the DEAD flag set */
Object "STR1"
Object "STR2"
Group "Ground"
Object "anything"
Object "anything"
Object "anything"

To create this hierarchy in ac3d it is easiest to just create all the end point objects and the group them together when you have finished.

The various object types available to you are as follows:

VOD This shape is static with no special meaning or game functionality
TWR Every field must have a tower. This is a tower type.
RWY Runways.
HGR Hangar.
ARM Rearm Pads.
GNG Auto Gun.
RDR Radar.
BMB Bombable.
FTE Fighter Entry Point.
MPR Map Room.
OFC Officer Club.
AMB Ammo bunker.
FUB Fuel Bunker.
BAB Barracks.
CIT City.
HQT Headquarters.
AMF Ammo Factory.
FUF Fuel Factory.
RDF Radar Factory.
AAF AAA Factory.
BAF Grunt Training Facility.
BME Bomber Entry Point.
VHE Vehicle Entry Point.
FTH Fighter Hangar.
BMH Bomber Hangar.
VHH Vehicle Hangar.
SHP Ship.
BTE Boat Entry Point.
BAT Gun Battery.
TRN Train.
CNV Road Convoy.
BAR River Barge.
STA Station.
TWN Town.
BRR Barrier.
STR Structure.
GMS Group Master.
BAS Soft Gun Battery.
BAA Armored Gun Battery.
GNH Hard Auto Gun.
GNA Armored Auto Gun.
BAH Hard Gun Battery.

In our example we used "STR", which is a structure. The benefit of defining your objects in this manner allows you to redefine them in the Object Editor as they have no attributes associated with them.
You must always add a number immediately after the object type and this number must be unique within that type.
For example, if you have 4 "STR" types and 2 "BRR" types, they would be named as follows: STR1, STR2, STR3, STR4, BRR1, BRR2 and so on.

Materials.
==========
Aces High Has a fixed material list that can be used and imported into ac3d. Just merge the file "material.ac" into your shape from the ac3d file menu.

The Aces High materials will show up as materials with a value of 17 and greater. Any materials other than the imported ones will be ignored.

Flags.
======

MinDist=10
MaxDist=100
------------
The MinDist and MaxDist values control the range at which you can see an object.
As an example, if you set the MinDist value to 10, then the object would disappear from view if you get within 10 feet of the object, in the game.
When the MaxDist is set to 100, the object will remain in view until it is more than 100 feet away, in the game.
If you have a large or complex object, you may want to create simpler versions of those object that can be used as the player gets farther away. To do this, you would have the high detailed model show up, say between 10 and 100 feet, then to have the game switch to the next lower detail model, you would set the MinDist to 100 and the MaxDist to 1000, for example.
This would cause the game to drop the high detailed model from view at 100 feet and switch to another lower detailed model from 100 to 1000 feet.

StencilAlpha=1
---------------

Terrain=1
----------
This tells the Object Editor that this is a terrain shape. Terrain shapes are special shapes which get included with a terrain and are not standalone objects.
For example, if you wanted to add a small berm or hill to a terrain, you would use design the shape, then tag it with this flag.

DoNotSmallCull=1
-----------------
Culling is a process which allows a game engine to ignore drawing things which do not need to be drawn. Such as objects you cannot see from your view in the game.
This flag controls whether or not an object should be culled down to its basic shape. If set to "1", the object is treated as a unit during culling and if it is set to "0", it it is broken down to smaller elements of the object for culling.
Obviously this can have performance impacts.
As an extreme example, you would not want to cull a simply box, but you might want to small cull a 1000 foot long building.

PolyID=20001
-------------
Runway 20001
Rearm Pad 20002
Crater 20003
Road 20004
Dirt 20005
Water 20006
Tree 20007
Bush 20008
Wall 20009
Model 20010
Train Track 20011

Dead=0
-------

NoCollide=1
------------
This flag tells Aces High is an object can be collided with or not. For example, a shape type of "Bush" would have this flag set to "1", so the "Bush" can be run over without causing damage or stopping a moving object.
While a "Tree" shape type would have this flag set to "0", to tell Aces High the shape can be collided with.

ZBias=0
--------
When you have two co-planar polys, the video card needs to know the order they should be drawn in. ZBias sets this order. The higher numbered poly will be drawn last.

Hidden=0
---------
This defines whether a poly is hidden or not. 0=it is not hidden, 1=it is hidden
blackjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Content creation

To give the object its correct classification, it would help to know what it is. I can't figure it out. My best guess is a beach barrier (e.g., from D-Day)? Then select the category from the list in the how-to that best describes its identity or game function. If it is a beach barrier, perhaps BRR from the list?

The rest of the stuff in the list is pretty self-explanatory. Group the object(s), give the file a name that doesn't conflict with something already in the AH heirarchy, store it "where it's supposed to go" in the AH directory (or, for distribution to others, save it in a self-extracting archive that will unpack the object in the right AH folder) and it ought to work.

Materials is odd... seems you need to assign a material # of 18 or greater. Unsure if this object is textured or not. If it is, you would likely want a "white" texture, so as not to tint the object. View it in game and then make any changes based on what you see.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, probably best to post this on the AH community boards, for info specific to the function of that game. Especially regards any problems you might have adding files to the folder structure and then logging onto an online server with it (that might cause some problems with "anti-cheat" code or need to exactly match the files of an online server).

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals

Last edited by Stiglr; 10th February 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 06:18 PM   #3
blackjak
Advanced member

Default Re: Content creation

Thanks Stigler. I found out some useful info that should help me get over the hump.

I was confused because no one in AH was specifically telling me how I could view those material files.

By exporting a similar standard object to AC3D, I can open it up in notepad to see how the materials list is written and copy that and modify accordingly.

I should have known this but needed someone to specifically point it out.
blackjak is offline   Reply With Quote