Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Hawk
Professional user

Default Group objects

Say I have a group of objects, like a box with red marbles in it, and I have six of these with different color marbles, and there is another large box(Empty) which I wish to place all the boxes with the marbles in that bigger empty box.

I would like to group of fix together the marble boxes so they stay as seperate units, meaning the red marble arranged exactly as they are, and be able to be moved around freely without worry of anything within the box moving at all, or changing the arrangement.

First I need to know how to freeze the box and its contents (red marbles)- next I would like to move this in and out of the large box as is at will. Then later on take the box and its red marbles out of the large box and its own box, meaning how does one ungroup it after it is no longer needed to be so.

Gosh I hope that is clear. Three questions there. fixing a group of things, moving it undisturbed and undoing it all when need be. :?:
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

For each box, select all the marbles and the box and use Edit->group.

Then, when you are in group select mode, the box and it's marbles will move together. Switch to object mode if you want to move or work on an individual box or marble.

If you want to put these small boxes inside another large box, group the box with all the smaller boxes.

Use edit->ungroup to break down the groups.

Tools->hierarchy will be a help to visualize how stuff is grouped.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Hawk
Professional user

Thanks Andy, tested it, and it works great.
The reason I ask this particular question in the first place is that many times I am removing, resizing and adding things to one object (A grouped object), and moving it around and replacing it into a much larger object (Sometimes several times), and the sizes and arrangements must be maintained exactly the same during this transfer process, now I understand how this is accomplished within AC3D.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote