Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Exagerative

Question Reset normals?

Hi I am building a plane for FlightGear opensource simulator, I am currently having an issue with some surfaces being the wrong normals setting, where I need to select them and press "Surface > Flip Normals", this then rectifies the selected one, and the colours are correct darkness when run in the simulator... HOWEVER.. my question is, how can I ensure all the surfaces are the same??? I have some parts on the stabilizer that are the wrong shade and I dont want to select each individual little one and click Flip Normals, Is there a way to select the entire model and have the same normals value? can it be done easily? Or do I need to spend ages picking out each one and flipping it.....

Thanks,
Exagerative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
foxa
Professional user

Default Re: Reset normals?

What you are looking for is a "unify normals" command, which unfortunately AC3D does not have. Maybe one of our "coders" like Dennis or Lisa could whip up a plugin, or Andy could put it in the wish list for the next version.
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Exagerative

Ah thanks for your swift reply. That's a shame, unfortunately I have got to the stage where the curvature around the tips of the horizontal stabiliser (part of the tail of the plane, for non aviators) are too tiny and tedious to select individually.. Although I see blender has something similar so I will attempt to do it there, even though I hate blender . Hope you add this soon!
Exagerative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

Best advice I can give (from one who has created many an h-stab) is...

Get in the habit of creating properly-normalled objects as you build. If you have to create surfaces "manually", always select vertices in "counterclockwise" order before actually creating the surface... when you're done with an object, set it to view as ONE-SIDED (unless you specifically need it to be two-sided, such as canopy glass). Use your Show Normal command to get the "pink porcupine" effect to be sure objects are facing the correct way.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote