Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th May 2005, 08:31 PM   #1
tomahawk_619

Default Boolean Subtraction help

Can som one post how to use the Boolean Subtraction cause the only thing I get when I do t hat is messed up vertices could some one make a quick tut
tomahawk_619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

I'll see if I can help you.

OK, let's draw a box...(now, since we're going to cut a hole in this box, you might want to make sure to "Set Surface Type" (bottom left of the interface) as a 2-sided-surface box, so that what's inside will show once another object is cut out of it

Then let's draw a cylinder, which we want to make a "hole in the box" with using Boolean Subtraction.

We open up Boolean Operation from the Tools menu...

Select the "operands", or the objects involved in the operation. Since the operation we're using is "B Minus A", we select the box and then press Set next to the Boolean B space; we select the cylinder and press "Set" next to the Boolean A space.

Now, we decide whether we want to delete any of the original items. We definitely set the cylinder to be deleted since we're only using it to shape the hole. You may or may not want to delete the original box; you might want the original to 'hide' and use as a reference... you may just want the box with a hole only, in which case you might check that box to be deleted.

Click OK.

Now, view the results. (I have the pink "Normals" lines visible here so you can see which way the polys are facing). Note the resulting object is usually given some odd name like CSG0; rename the object to something that makes sense to you.

Now you see the results... and you see why using Booleans is sometimes very messy. Sometimes you may have to select some surfaces and delete them to truly uncover the hole (especially if you did not Delete the original box). It may be wise to find groups of polys to combine and realign to save complexity and vertice/poly count. These are likely formed because of the differences in the geometries and how their respective vertices line up.

Sometimes, Booleans will make such a mess that you'll want to, in this example, select and delete (surfaces only!) all the internal surfaces, and redraw the inside of the hole one 3-sided surface at a time. Or, if your shapes are not very complex, it might be better to just subdivide the object and use negative extrusion to get the hole or missing area you want and delete it.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote