Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th August 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
uani

Question filling gaps (holes) in surfaces

Hi,

after welding snapped vertices a gap / hole occured in the surface, enclosed by edges. I snapped and welded vertices after a boolean union which displaced some intersections.

Is it possible to fill such a gap / hole? How?

Sorry for aksing in the General section.

Great manual! Great tool customizability! I could (after reading the manual) immediately create something (which I couldn't in FreeCAD or Shape 3D due to lack of understanding or customizability)! Thank you!

Here're the union-related images:

Last edited by uani; 28th August 2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added pictures
uani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: filling gaps (holes) in surfaces

First lesson is: don't use Booleans! They're incredibly messy and ineffecient!! They often create much more of a mess than they're worth, and you'll spend more time cleaning up after them than you save with the so-called "instant operation".

The best strategy to make a smooth transition between intersecting cylindrical shapes is to use the knife tool to slice off areas that are "left inside" a joined unit. Then, add vertices on surface lines as necessary (by selecting vertices that flank the desired point and Create Vertice), then move them to the intersection point with another surface. Then join up points and weld. Or, where small "holes" are formed, create new surfaces at odd junctures, remembering to select vertices in succession, counterclockwise, before using Create Surface.

It's "manual" and it can be a little time consuming, but you're likely to get much better results than going for the quick fix supposedly afforded by the Boolean operations.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
uani

Default Re: filling gaps (holes) in surfaces

Thank you!

I couldn't cut away from the intersecting cylinder and join the remainder to the wheel Frame because the cylinder was left in a displaced state like after the Union.

However I could cut away holes into the wheel Frame using the intersecting cylinder as the knife and join a new cylinder after moving the cap Vertices (I actually used no cap) into Position.

Thank you!
uani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edges, filling, holes, surfaces