Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Turbo_pascal

Default Backface Culling?

Hello,

I want to use Ac3d as a level editor and shape some indoor "rooms" like those you see in portal2 game.

I imported from a different app a short test level shaped as above described, however i see that Ac3d render everything as double faced, which makes me hard to edit what is "inside" of any room cubed shape.

Is there an option in ac3d where i can enable backface culling?, i mean a option where i can only see faces defined in clockwise order and invisible when the camera is looking from behind?

Thank you for your help.
Turbo_pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 09:54 AM   #2
fabrizio fracaroli

Default Re: Backface Culling?

Find in the main UI, left corner bottom.... A button "1s" which is for single sided surface, "2s" is two sided surface. There are other controls right there.
Select the surface you want to change to single side, or select the whole object or groups, and then click on the 1s button. I do not think it works with vertex selected.
Regards Fabrizio

Last edited by fabrizio fracaroli; 27th November 2014 at 09:58 AM.
fabrizio fracaroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Turbo_pascal

It workst!, thank you very much.

I like so much this program, is very easy to learn, i was able to shape a lot things after watching a short 10 minutes tutorial video, it is very productive.

Edit:
Still I have a litle issue, backface are now invisible, i can see inside the room, however backfaces still can be selectable when clicked from behind; that mean i unable to select visible triangles, see the pic:

any way to dissable to select back faces?

see ya!,
Attached Images

Last edited by Turbo_pascal; 27th November 2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:09 AM   #4
fabrizio fracaroli

No, I am not sure about that... Sorry, maybe someone who code the software may answer correctly. I can not do this either ( Not to select the back-face)
Regards
fabrizio fracaroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 07:02 PM   #5
jentron
Professional user

There is a script here: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5082 that will hide faces.

I mod'd my interface to have a hide surfaces button under the hide and lock objects buttons. If you're interested and able to edit program files comfortably, I'll dig up instructions how to do that.
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Turbo_pascal

thank you for the script.

before editing i have to carefull select walls and ceiling and hide them so i can edit the geometry "inside" my room, it is not enjoable but it is a workaround.

I hope Ac3d developers found this issue enough important to include a checkbox that enable/disable to select faces from back.

This tool is almost perfect to me but this silly issue is enough to prevent me to use this tool as a map editor when i import he map for doing more details.

Last edited by Turbo_pascal; 30th November 2014 at 11:22 PM.