Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th April 2007, 12:29 AM   #1
PlaneCrazy1

Exclamation Yah Right!!!

I have tried everything under the sun and everything suggested to import my *.OBJ file created by AC3D into X-Plane and X-Plane doesnt even see it. I have removed the other OBJ plugin from AC3D and it still wont work....I have the latest X-Plane and the latest AC3D and the latest OBJ importer/exporter for AC3D....and NADDA...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:con fused:
PlaneCrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 02:57 PM   #2
donallabaugh

Default Re: Yah Right!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy1 View Post
I have tried everything under the sun and everything suggested to import my *.OBJ file created by AC3D into X-Plane and X-Plane doesnt even see it. I have removed the other OBJ plugin from AC3D and it still wont work....I have the latest X-Plane and the latest AC3D and the latest OBJ importer/exporter for AC3D....and NADDA...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:con fused:
Need more info:

Are you going to use the object file for scenery or on an aircraft?

If it is for an aircraft will it be the cockpit object or a Misc. object?

Where is the texture file located that is associated with the object file?

We can start with these questions for now. Hopefully when they get answered some useful tips will follow.

Don
donallabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 05:11 PM   #3
PlaneCrazy1

The object file is an aircraft fuselage, that was created in AC3D and exported to the x plane aircraft directory directory. However I only see one file in there. Its an *.OBJ file. I see NO texture file. I am sure that i am doing something wrong....just don't know what.

Thanks for your reply, CDD
PlaneCrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 05:31 AM   #4
donallabaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy1 View Post
The object file is an aircraft fuselage, that was created in AC3D and exported to the x plane aircraft directory directory. However I only see one file in there. Its an *.OBJ file. I see NO texture file. I am sure that i am doing something wrong....just don't know what.

Thanks for your reply, CDD
First here are some items that have to be:

1.) if the .OBJ file is going to be used as a cockpit object (inside or outside view or to show a 3D panel while flying), the object name is very specific ie:

xxxxx_cockpit.obj --- used when there will only be the inside view.
xxxxx_cockpit_inn.obj --used for inside view when 2 files are used.
xxxxx_cockpit_out.obj --used for outside view when 2 files are used.

2.) The cockpit.obj file must reside in the aircraft's root folder.

3.) The texture file must reside in the same folder as the object file.

4.) DO NOT use the default texture name that AC3D uses. I usually name the texture file something specific for the object I am building.

5.) If you are making an object that will be used as a 3D cockpit you have to check the appropriate boxes in PlaneMaker to allow the object to be seen. The best way to determine the proper boxes is to open an existing aircraft with a 3D panel that works and look at the selections under the "Standard\Viewpoint\view' menu option.

6.) IF the object will be used as a MISC object..(these are used for individual parts of the aircraft or to possibly replace the entire fuselage with an AC3D rendition of the aircraft) Then the object file AND it's associated texture file MUST be placed in an "objects" folder within the aircraft's main folder.

7.) Naming of the texture file follows Number 4 above.

8.) To see the MISC objects you MUST open PlaneMaker and go to the MISC OBJECTS menu under the 'Standard' menu. Once there you have to select the object and give it a location. This takes some time and you will most likely have to tweak the location, rotation etc. to get the object to show up where you want it.

Go through these steps and see if it helps.

Don
Old 30th August 2007, 06:30 AM   #5
phlsti

I don't see where this is going. I have created an aircraft folder in the x-plane/aircraft directory, and AC3D has exported a list of .obj files to that folder (for fuselage, wings, nacelles, vertical stab, etc), yet when I am in planemaker, and click on 'standard', 'fuselage', and then click on the 'import fuselage' button, planemaker doesn't recognize any of the .obj files in that folder ---- it's like they aren't there. So, I try the 'wing' section, or the 'misc bodies' section or the 'misc objects' section, but none of the .obj files show up in planemaker for me to import.
I am certainly missing something ........ just don't know what it is.
Thanks for any help,
Phil
phlsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 04:15 PM   #6
donallabaugh

First you must understand how the import portion of PlaneMaker works. PlaneMaker will only import the parts ( misc bodies, fuselage etc) from other X-Plane aircraft files. IT Will NOT import aircraft parts from object files.

Second. If you want to use Misc Objects on an aircraft you will have to add a folder to the aircraft folder. This new folder is named 'Objects" :

if you aircraft is named "myplane" the objects folder location would be:

...aircraft/myplane/objects

Once you have the folder made put your Misc object files in that folder. You should also include the texture files for those objects.

Third Open PlaneMaker and load your aircraft then use the menus to get to the Misc Objects screen. From there select the "objects" folder within your aircraft folder. You will then see the object files. Select an object file and then look at the aircraft on the main screen. You should see the object, usually in front of the aircraft, because X-Plane will load a Misc Object at 0,0,0. Once you can see the object go back to the "Misc Objects" screen and adjust the longitude, latitude and height to move the object to the proper location on the aircraft.

This should get you started.
Post your progress. Also if you want more info on X-Plane and PlaneMaker you should wander on over to X-Plane.ORG, There is a lot of information over there.

Don
Old 30th August 2007, 08:55 PM   #7
phlsti

thanks for the reply Don ... Austin wrote a planemaker appendix on his new manual.pdf that said, "X-Plane uses the OBJ file-format, which can be saved in AC3D. (www.ac3d.org) There is a plug-in that saves AC3D files in the OBJ format, so you can simply make your objects in AC3D, then save them as X-Plane object files and they will be ready to fly!" Guess I understood it wrong.

I exported a plane from planemaker to some object files and imported them into AC3D so I could modify the fuselage shape. I then exported the new shape into an object file for planemaker with the intent of creating a new aircraft with that fuselage shape. I loaded that new fuselage.obj file into the misc object screen in planemaker, but when I go back to the the main screen showing the aircraft, I don't see the new fuselage, or any additional fuselage on the screen (zoomed in and out in wireframe). Maybe I need to use that 'attach' feature on the right side of the misc objects screen, but there are no options for 'fuselage' on that list, so I'm stumped. I have spent a lot of time at x-plane.org, but the only planemaker file that had was for a previous version of planemaker, and it was very basic. Any help would be appreciated.
Phil
Old 31st August 2007, 04:48 AM   #8
donallabaugh

Phil,

Give this a shot.
IN the X-Plane folder find the folder for the aircraft that you originally exported to AC3D.
Make a copy of the folder and store it somewhere.
open the folder and find the aircrat's paint file. It is probably named something like (name of aircraft)_paint.png or (name of aircraft)_paint.bmp.
Open the paint file in your graphics program and erase everything then resave the file as (name of aircraft)_paint.png. Make sure the original file is no longer in the aircraft's folder.

This first step will make the aircraft invisible. Since X-Plane has to use the .acf file to calculate flight characteristics you still need to build the aircraft with PlaneMaker. Then if you want to use an object to show the aircraft you have to make the PlaneMaker version invisible so only your object file will show.,

Next make sure your object file AND it's texture file are in the proper folder.

Then in PlaneMaker when you open the aircraft, BEFORE you attach the object, you should see nothing on the Main PlaneMaker Screen.

Next go to the Misc Objects screen and select your AC3D object and leave to Lat, Long, height all set to 0, You SHOULD NOT have to "attach" the object to anything.

When you go back to the Main PlaneMaker Screen you should see your object.

Let me know if this works.

Don
Old 31st August 2007, 08:50 AM   #9
phlsti

thanks Don, and I was right there until I erased the contents of the .bmp file in the paint program and resaved it as newstream_paint.bmp. When I re-opened planemaker, my newstream.acf was still showing on the screen -- not invisible. Even changed the .acf file name to newstream.acf, but still can see it.

I tried erasing the .bmp file completely from the folder, but no change. Going to misc objects and putting my new fuselage.obj in the first blank, but it doesn't show on the screen. Sorry to be so dense, which is what I feel, know I'm missing something here ........ just can't get it to work.
Phil
Old 31st August 2007, 06:05 PM   #10
phlsti

I also just tried creating a new aircraft, and importing just the fuselage that I had imported into AC3D to modify. With only that fuselage .acf in (although it was part of the newstream folder, so had other .acf files in it), I tried to add the misc object newstream.obj (the modified fuselage), but never saw it appear on the screen when going back to the wireframe drawing. I don't know where the new .acf file was getting it's texture from, but the only .bmp file in this folder is the one I had erased all texture from in the paint program.