Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Wiggles
Expert member

Default GTA San Andreas mods?

Well... my trial is up, and i'm trying to figure out if I should buy or not.

One of the things I'd like to do is eventually create my own models for this game. Can you do that with AC3D? What does it take to pull that off? Has anyone here done it?

Reason I choose that game is there are so many modeling possibilities and I would love to see my creations come to life in that game.
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Wiggles
Expert member

Default Re: GTA San Andreas mods?

Well... I broke down and bought it. Blender is free, but its so daunting for a beginner like me

Really I think the only problem I have with AC3D is the lack of user support when compared to blender. It's amazing how much is out there for blender, even though it seems so difficult.

Now I just need to finish my lamp

Would it be better to find a game modding board or something for this type of question?
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
Would it be better to find a game modding board or something for this type of question?
Possibly --- I haven't seen very many folks posting to the forum about integrating AC3D models into existing games (like GTA, Half-Life, etc), but there are probably communities online where you can get the info you're seeking.

That being said, I believe (based on a quick Google) that Blender has a solution to import/export GTA models. But, as you've discovered, Blender modeling is much less friendly than AC3D modeling --- so much so that I made the same decision to buy AC3D when I did .

But the last time I used Blender, it could import AC3D files with no problem. You may want to use Blender for your import/export from/to GTA, and use AC3D as your modeler.

HTH
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 11:02 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Indeed. Most games have proprietary file formats of some sort or another. Usually the trick isn't building the data, it's figuring out how to shoehorn it into the engine.

I haven't done anything for GTA, so I don't know, but for a lot of other games you can find command-line converters that will take various file formats--commonly OBJ, 3DS or .X, all of which AC3D supports--and convert it to game format. Many smaller games and XNA games will load .X files natively.

Blender makes me insane, but I also do as Dennis suggests, and use it for file conversion sometimes.

I know this isn't an option for everyone, but if you have some programming skills, writing plug-ins for AC3D is pretty easy and virtually all the data is exposed. Many file formats are publically documented, so writing an exporter is another good alternative.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:45 AM   #5
Gooberz

Why worry about this "Lack of support", when you've got a forum full of people answering your questions? Always works for me...

Anyway, AC3D can export to most formats I can think of, or can be imported into other programs like Blender to mod into games. Personally I'm using it for a C&C:Generals/3 mod, in conjunction with Gmax. (It's crazy how crappy Gmax is.) Certainly you can find a way to get some of your models into GTA, as others have said before me.
Gooberz is offline   Reply With Quote