Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th July 2006, 01:43 PM   #1
griff
Professional user

Default Merging Objects

I am trying to figure outwhat happens when I merge two objects. For example I have two boxes called 'red' and 'blue' when I merge them sometimes the resulting object is called 'red', sometimes 'blue' . Why?

What are the factors that control how the merge functions? If the resulting object is 'blue', does that mean that the 'red' vertices have been added to the end of the 'blue'?

If I want to combine objects so that the vertices of one object are the start of the list and as I merge more and more objects the vertices are added to the end, what is best way of doing it?

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 02:31 PM   #2
captainj2410
Professional user

Default Re: Merging Objects

It probably has to do with the object hierarchy within the world. Take a look at it before you merge the objects to see how it's related (if at all) to the name of the new object.
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 02:19 AM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

For the next release, the selection order for Object->Merge will define how the objects will be merged. The first object selected will be the object that ends up with all the other geometry added (the texture and other properties of the first object will remain in the completed object).
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 03:36 AM   #4
griff
Professional user

Thanks Andy.

Simple test circumstances, if I am merging two objects, it seems that the lower one in the hierarchy gets to be the object name that is used. Question is , is the order of points lower one first internally?

However on occasions, the first of two seems to be the one that gets chosen. There must be something else having an impact ... and for the life of me I can not figure out what.

What I'm trying to do is assemble a singe object where the points are in a specific place in the object. Example a single object (left arm) with left shoulder at top then left elbow then left hand. I can then use a javascript in vrml to read the points for different parts, so I can use some javascript functions to animate the whole mesh.

But major priority is to get those points in sequence( a kind of tree structure).

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 01:47 AM   #5
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

The order of selection is not currently used for merge. Currently AC3D will probably select the objects in the order they lie in the hierarchy, or perhaps the reverse. The new version with this fixed will be available soon.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 02:02 AM   #6
captainj2410
Professional user

Maybe put in a window which asks what to call it based on the given names of the objects.
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote