Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th April 2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Shogun

Default How to texture

Dear All, i like AC3D. Itīs a very powerful tool. I have a question to the texturing.
If i have for example a cube, but with one surface a little bit larger, maybe a rectangle, by the longer side the texture will get stretched. If i use it with keep ratio, for example by bricks, the bricks are get bigger at the longer side.

I have attached a jpg. If anybody can help me to make all the bricks on each side the same size i would be very happy.
Attached Images

Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Shogun

Default Re: How to texture

Does nobody want to help?
Old 11th May 2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Use the texture coordnate editor (tools menu) to resize the surfaces over the image. You can make the areas larger than the texure area and the pattern will just repeat.

You could also use the texture-repeat values (menu Object->Texture) but these are not supported in all exported file formats and it might be best to fixed texture mapping via the TCE.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Shogun

Hello, thank you. With making the seclection bigger than the texture it works,
but how can i work exactly?

I have the same problem by working with an uv map. I have attached two pictures to describe my problem. Belongs it to my job to cut a texture and put the cutted pieces to the parts of the uv map?

Thanks for helping.
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2016, 03:15 AM   #5
tbd
Professional user

No cutting of texture needed. One way to do it is in the TCE. Select the sides and remap to front/back and left/right. Make sure the "keep size ratio" is on. also move the surfaces out from the texture so you have four individual sides visible. As you se in my picture I have re-sized the square to the same height as the rectangles. make sure you re-size proportional. Then select one side and in the "snap" part of the TCE click left and bottom. This is one way of doing it. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tce.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	3398  

tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Shogun

Hello,
many thanks to you, with your post i am getting ahead. i will work with it tomorrow extensive. I have one more question. In your picture in the TCE you have the same height, but different width, in my TCE i have the same height and the same width, but it works, it looks good. And the other thing i donīt understand is your last sentence with the snap (what does this?).

I have attached the 3d view, looks it right?

Thank you for helping!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rectangle.png
Views:	92
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	3401  

Old 15th May 2016, 05:34 PM   #7
tbd
Professional user

About the same height and width, I dont know. I would have to see a screenshot of the TCE to be able to maybe find an explanation. The snap is located at the red ring. It snaps the selected uv's to the texture, left,right top,bottom etc. It dosent remap, it just places the uv's on the texture. Hope this helps
Edit: I just understood your same width and height. The texture on the long sides are being stretched because of this. Look at the length of the bricks on the long side compared to the short side in your screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tce2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	3402  

Last edited by tbd; 15th May 2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: More info
Old 18th May 2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Shogun

Hello, i will be happy if you can help me once again. I have done the following steps, at first, i have created the rectangle. Then with the surface mode i have cutted away object that i can edit the left and front surface, then loaded the texture. One image i have attached. Have you the front side manually edited in the TCE? I donīt get the ideal dimensions.

I select the to surfaces with the shift button, so i have the two sutfaces in the TCE. They have different heights, but the same width.

How do you get the different width without to edit manually?

Thank you for helping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	3436  

Last edited by Andy; 18th May 2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: fixed forum prob with images
Old 18th May 2016, 03:58 PM   #9
tbd
Professional user

There is no need in cutting the surfaces away to edit them in the TCE. Just select the surfaces.
IMAGE1:When you create a cube and pull it out to a rectangle the first uv's are the same size on all sides no matter if its a rectangle. Thats why we use remap.
IMAGE2:Select the front surface and remap to front. FOr the easynes pull it out of the texturearea.
IMAGE3:Select the sidesurface and do the same. Now you see the two are different size.
IMAGE4:Take the biggest uv and size it down by CTRL and pulling the sidehandle on the uv. Now match the height to the other uv.
IMAGE5:Now use snap and click bottom/right or topp/left or whereever you whant it on the texture. Now repeat for the all the other sides. Its also possible to select both front/back and left/right and remap them as one. you save time that way.

There is no automatic easy way of uv mapping. You need to get down and do the dirty job. Hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	3440  

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	3441  

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	3442  

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	3443  

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	3444  

Old 22nd May 2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Shogun

Many thanks to tbd. I now understand it much better, with ctrl it works.