Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th May 2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default How to lock vertices

Some time ago I started a thread on a water table that was affected by the editing of surfaces / vertices elswhere. It seems that any adjustment of vertices may affect the exact placement of vertices of the entire model.

Now I have a problem with another X-Plane scenery project. It's the editing of a selected area inside a scenery mesh tile. A program (Meshremexe) let's you cut out an area, edit it in a 3D editor and then put it back. It works fine with Sketchup (according to the author) but I'd rather use AC3D since this is the editor I know.

What happens is that as I flatten the top of a mesa to make landable runways the edges of my selection are moved a bit too. Thus, my edited area doesn't quite fit into the "slot" when I put it back and I get a slight gap along its edges.

What I would need is a way to lock all vertices / surfaces at the perimeter of my model. That is, whatever I modify elsewhere the vertices along the edges will stay exactly where they were in the first place. Such a lock feature could be useful whenever the exact position of a starting point is required.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: How to lock vertices

In Vertex select-mode, If you don't select a vertex in AC3D it won't be changed when adjacent vertices are moved.

I think I don't understand fully, perhaps you could post some images?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
In Vertex select-mode, If you don't select a vertex in AC3D it won't be changed when adjacent vertices are moved.

I think I don't understand fully, perhaps you could post some images?
The attached image shows an edited area that doesn't quite fit. The blue line represents a gap that's not supposed to be there. What I've done is to flatten the top of the runway area.

best regards,

Hans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mangalore.jpg.09889b6c4814e452f5f8f62c98d310f6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	3395  

Old 12th May 2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

If you have a gap like this then it means that there is more than on vertex there and they are not in the same locaion. If you have a single vertex, that would be shared between the connected surfaces and you'd have no gap.

It looks like the Meshremexe program is moving the vertices at the edge and it probably shouldn't. Perhaps those vertex coordinate values are being rounded in someway - perhaps in file format conversions? It doesn't looks like an AC3D problem to me.

To fix this you can use Vertex->snap together on on vertices to close the gap. Then you could Optimize the object to remove duplicate vertices, or use Vertex->Weld on each.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Provided I could edit the entire scenery mesh tile in AC3D I would certainly have snapped the vertices together. However, it seems that the Meshremexe program doesn't expect vertices to be optimized--it simply puts an edited object part back into the original object and leaves a double set of vertices along the edges. Actually, anything that's been created with Sketchup / anything that assumes Sketchup as the 3D editor of choice seems to entail layer upon layer of unconnected, redundant vertices. It looks fine as long as the pertinent vertices occupy the exact same positions (identical coordinates) but it's not economical in terms of file size.

But then, this could very well be an AC3D to X-Plane conversion issue. I'll check with the author of the *.ac to *.obj export script.