Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Chuck Bodeen
Advanced member

Default Chuck The Plumber!

The city just directed several of us in my neighborhood to instal "back flow prevention" valves in out home water systems.
I could have planned the modification using pencil and paper (and eraser!) but I thought it would be a good exercise to do it using AC3D.

The first step was to make measurements of the existing piping system (all shown in red).

Then I went to the store and bought two backflow prevention valves (green) and one new gate valve (yellow) --- the one to the house had been leaking--- and the necessary PVC fittings (dark and light blue). I brought these home and made AC3D renditions of each type.

In the picture the water comes in from the street at the pink spot at the bottom. Water goes to the house on the left side and to the sprinkler system on the right side.

Usin AC3D I was able to try out different arrangements of the parts. My Daddy taught me to use unions so that if I ever needed to repair any of the valves it would be an easy job to dismantle the system. The four unions are shown in yellow. I found that there was not room on the horizontal run to the house to put both couplings in line with the valves, so I used one of them on the vertical section.

On the sprinkler side I was able to use the existing gate valve and put the backflow preventer in the vertical position.

My AC3D model was not very sophisticated, but the dimensions were correct and the pipes fit together nicely when I assembled them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3d pipes.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1324  

Last edited by Chuck Bodeen; 27th November 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Chuck Bodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Chuck The Plumber!

Nice... and useful, too!
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Chuck Bodeen
Advanced member

Default Re: Chuck The Plumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
Nice... and useful, too!
Thanks, lisa. This saved this amateur plumber (me) a lot of cut and try. I just edited the text because those things I called "couplings" are actually called "unions".
Chuck Bodeen is offline   Reply With Quote