Go Back   AC3D Forums > Other > Off topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Edymnion
Professional user

Default 3-Sweep, Instant 3D Models from 2D Photographs

Anyone seen this yet?

http://gizmodo.com/this-impossible-s...ium=socialflow
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: 3-Sweep, Instant 3D Models from 2D Photographs

Very neat! Notice the shape simularities between all the objects that are modelled though...

Still very clever stuff - especially the automatic texturing and the background patch filling.

Thanks for sharing this.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Geoffm

Default Re: 3-Sweep, Instant 3D Models from 2D Photographs

Yes indeed clever, but note that most shapes were converted to circular symmetry (tubes, pipes, square pillars). A photograph of an elliptical object would probably be converted to a circular cylinder. The edge detection and inference of lengths is very clever, but makes assumptions about the amount of perspective in the original photograph. The angle of view is (I think) inferred from the conversion of an ellipse (the appearance of a circle at an angle) to true circular shape. If the original object is not circular then the inference will be invalid. At the beginning of each conversion some mouse operations were needed to identify a square or circular base shape; then the rest of the shape is created to fit the edges. The model tobacco pipe appears to be circular along the stem, rather than flattened at the point placed in mouth (don't try this at home) as in real pipes. Very quick though.
Geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote