Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th December 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Default Need Some Basic Help with Texturing

Hi,

I'm trying to fix some texturing issues in an aircraft carrier I modeled in SketchUp and imported into AC3D to add some animations. Basically, I want to select some parts of the model and apply texture using the same 1024 x 1024 .png texture file that I used in SketchUp.

Below is a link to a brief video of what I've tried so far. Please look at it and tell me (a) have I done the right steps so far? and (b) if so, what's the next step? I.e., What button do I click, etc., to add the texture?

The steps in the video are:

(1) I selected the object mode;

(2) selected the object I want to texture (it took two tries; selected the wrong part the first time);

(3) opened the Texture Coordinate Editor to show that no texture is shown (blank window);

(4) went to Texture and selected the texture path at the bottom of the dropdown window;

(5) opened the Texture Coordinate Editor again. This time, the texture is visible;

(6) made the rectangle small enough to fit within the gray texture patch that is the color I want the object to be.

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVO36...ature=youtu.be
Old 8th December 2012, 11:59 PM   #2
blackjak
Advanced member

Default Re: Need Some Basic Help with Texturing

I guess it all depends on if coming from sketchup, ac3d recognizes the original mapping or not.

In AC3D for my simple model I had to select things in face mode and then map them in TCE whether it was top or bottom left right etc. Then I resized it all to fit in the box, exported the UV map and used it as a template to paint the textures and then loaded that.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more help.

Last edited by blackjak; 9th December 2012 at 03:09 AM.
blackjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Thanks.

You say that you have to select in "Face" mode, which I take to mean the "Surface" mode. Correct?

What's curious is that in the video and steps that I show to start this thread, I mention that I selected the "Object" mode. In that mode, I can first select an object, and go Object --> Texture to open the texture file. But in the "Surface" mode, "Object" is grayed out. And, after selecting a surface, if I go to the TCE, the screen is blank.

I'm wondering if when importing a SketchUp model, I need to do any retexturing in SketchUp and reimport the model, or at least the parts that need retexturing. I tried that approach, and it works, although it is a more time-consuming process, of course.

Bill
Old 10th December 2012, 12:26 AM   #4
blackjak
Advanced member

Yes, you are right. I meant to say surfaces.The TCE screen will be blank until you hit remap, then your selected surfaces should show up.

Here are some vids you can DL and watch. No sound, but you can get an idea how she selected the surfaces and mapped them in TCE.

http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthre...light=tutorial

Was really hoping you would get some more replies from advanced users, as I am a rank beginner

Last edited by blackjak; 10th December 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:19 PM   #5
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Thanks. That's helpful.

RE: "Was really hoping you would get some more replies from advanced users, as I am a rank beginner."

That's relative. Compared to me, you're a genius!

Bill
Old 10th December 2012, 01:38 PM   #6
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

Yes, I see that clicking on one of the Remap options shows me a surface.

However, the window still doesn't show the .pdf texture image; just a blank screen. As I mention earlier, I can open and see the texture image when in the Object mode but not when in the Surface mode.

Overcoming that obstacle would probably put me over the top. Otherwise, it's Plan B: Retexture in SketchUp.

Bill
Old 10th December 2012, 02:24 PM   #7
blackjak
Advanced member

Hmmm, well mine does, but then I mapped it all out in AC3D from the beginning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYhGeWt5JUM

As I said I am a beginner, what I seem to be getting is that you want to select the surfaces and manipulate that mapping to the texture you already have? I did it the other way around manipulating the texture to fit the UV map.

Perhaps you could try this, map some surfaces and then from the object menu load the texture file you have and then save the whole thing and re open it

The image will likely be in all the wrong places but then perhaps the whole image will show in the TCE after you select one of the surfaces and you can remap the surfaces and resize and move/rotate them around to fit the image.

P.S. not sure of all the texture files AC3D supports. I use .bmps just because that's what my game requires. I don't know about PDF.

Last edited by blackjak; 10th December 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10th December 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
BSquaredeighteen
Advanced member

I'll try that. About to go offline for two-and-a-half weeks, so may not get to it before then. I was told at an X-Plane.org forum that AC3D does support .png files. And when I export the modified AC3D file to X-Plane, most if not all of the textures work fine.

Bill
Old 16th February 2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Cynic
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjak View Post
Yes, you are right. I meant to say surfaces.The TCE screen will be blank until you hit remap, then your selected surfaces should show up.

Here are some vids you can DL and watch. No sound, but you can get an idea how she selected the surfaces and mapped them in TCE.

http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthre...light=tutorial

Was really hoping you would get some more replies from advanced users, as I am a rank beginner
Your previous post in this thread and Lisa's video has finally brought me into understanding. Thank you to the two of you.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote