Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th January 2005, 10:13 PM   #1
slashdot
Advanced member

Default How do I add textures to my penguin, and also...

Ok, I want to put a white spot on the front of my tux. Heres a picture of it http://pntbalg.shackspace.com/tuxman1.png. Now I want it to have a white spot on it like this picture, and also, I want to make the tux man look less like he is sad and going to cry. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG. Thanx in advance!

PS: How do I put a smile on the little guy!
slashdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Because it's composed of so few and solid colors, you may get away with using materials instead of textures --- the only issue there is you'd need to make the surfaces join where white-meets-bllack (or yellow), which may or may not be optimal for your mesh.

But I'd probably take the texture approach myself. Do you already have a texture made? If not, here's how I would do it --- not sure if it's the most efficient method (I'm not an expert on texturing):

BTW, I'm assuming that the penguin is all in one mesh here.

Go to the texture coordinate editor (f10) and set your "Select by" to Surface, then Select All. Under Remap, choose Sphere. You should now have a flattened UV map of all of the polygons on your penguin --- hopefully it looks enough like a flattened penguin that you can tell where you need to place black/white/yellow textures. You can print screen the TCE window and copy it to a paint program to use as a skeleton for creating a new texture.

There are more comprehensive UV mappers out there for this type of thing, but this method should work pretty well for many types of meshes. Hope that helps.

Good luck

EDIT: There might be a menu item for copying the contents of the TCE to the window's clipboard....
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2005, 07:00 PM   #3
slashdot
Advanced member

Thanx.. but I forgot to say I found a way, but I'll use your advice on my other models that need it, see if its any easier. Thanx again tho.
slashdot is offline   Reply With Quote