Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2014, 11:01 AM   #1
kilo_Thirteen_Tuners

Exclamation Need Help Texture Mapping

Well I guess after a week of the post being here and no reply's its obvious why nobody buys ac3d and just uses blender... right on.. back to blender it is.. you shouldn't have the 14 day trial because that's just 14 days people have to dislike the program and see that the free ones are better... the chances of me buying it with no trial are higher than me trying it and seeing its not worth it.. I understand to select the materials and lay them each out in the text coord editor but when you go to use the render to texture it doesn't see the faces different and makes a texture for the part as a whole.. the only way to make a decent shadow map is to have everything de-combined and spend hours laying out the polys in the coord editor.. whats the point.. why would I use a 3d program that can't texture.. if at least the render to texture could see materials as different faces maybe it would stand a chance of making a decent shadow map if it made one for each face... at this point its just worthless and only good for simple conversions of format and for that.. I won't pay 90 bucks..

(okay so after a few days of the post being here either either ac3d forum is just not very helpful.. or nobody understands what im trying to say so I included a third pic.. its simple why do the polys overlap? and why is the engine just a side view overlapping the top and bottom and other side?)

is it just a simple fact of being that the program is not capable of making a sensible layout of the polys on a plane and I just have to do it manuely or? If so that's fine its a 90 dollar program I get it but at least a yes or no would be cool thanks

So... Ive been trying for a while now to get the render to texture shadow map to work and no matter what I seem to do with the texture coord. editor I can't seem to wrap the texture how it is with lets say even a box the way it is in on the box in the AC3D test scene.. in the test scene a box has all six sides layed out logically as with the cyl... and the sphere.. how on earth do you get the texture to logically wrap around the object? wrapping as box, side, top no matter what its not logical and the render to texture just makes a mess of the texture on the object.. only thing I can think is a person has to move each poly in the coord editor to not overlap the next but surely this can't be it would take years to get some textures laid out there right,, in blender a person can bake a texture or shadow map without doing massive amounts of work.. what in the world am I doing wrong? ive included two pictures a before and after of render to texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before render to texture.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	738.9 KB
ID:	3143  

Name:	after render to texture.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	3144  

Name:	polys overlapping.png
Views:	187
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	3145  

Last edited by kilo_Thirteen_Tuners; 29th September 2014 at 04:01 PM.
kilo_Thirteen_Tuners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Need Help Texture Mapping

Well it won't work with that texture layout. You'll need to make sure everything is tiled. Also ensure that all parts are in the same object.

For more help, see http://www.inivis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5583
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 08:52 AM   #3
kilo_Thirteen_Tuners

well no kidding and that forum doesn't help a thing most of those things later down the post just make the program crash like fit uv coord's to map that wiill crash right away with just a box there doesn't matter what it is. can't be my computer it works with every other 3d program... it doesn't mater anyway render to texture doesn't desipher to make a new uv map to each material it does it to each object... maybe a chair and a table yea i can spend 20 mimutes and put the polys where i need them.. and make my own texture that way but on a complex object there should be a button to press and it maps the poly's on a plane so they can be textured.... there is no button that does that far as i know I guess most people texture in blender but if your going to do that why not just use blender this just feels like a incomplete program.
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:03 AM   #4
Mossie
Professional user

To develop a texture and map it takes little time, however the complexity of you model would make a single texture a challenge. There is a texture plugin that will allow mapping in different forms, planes an arrangements, but it is not always perfect, and some tweaking of the mapping is always required.
There is no magic button or method to texture map.
If you model is made up of many objects, you can map each object to a texture, to achieve a better overall look.
http://ww1-aircraft.info/

Mossie 3D CAD, "Prompt and Precise"
http://mossie3dcad.com/
Mossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Merrie
Expert member

Could use another good tutorial how to do texture mapping in AC3D.
Merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 10:18 AM   #6
kilo_Thirteen_Tuners

well it is several objects and I can take the time to lay out the polys in the texture coord. map but thing is either im crazy... or ac3d doesn't make textures by materials.. I can even do set materials by crease angle and it makes one texture for one object even if that object has 10 materials now are you saying im supposed to make it all different materials then split those materials up into different objects? that doesn't work for everything because some systems can only handle so many materials lets say second life one mesh can only have 8 materials... I haven't tried breaking every material into a different object yet maybe that's the key to somewhat success with this... usually I just make the texture map then paint it in photoshop it would be cool to have some kind of shadow map though instead of just a text. coord map... either way I can make great textures but if it wasn't so painful to make a shadow map I think ac3d would have a lot more users than blender because blender over complicates everything but it can bake a texture somewhat easy lol... if I can set material by crease angle why can't it lay out a texture by crease angle at least to start with... this would make editing that object in texture coord. map way easier right?
Old 10th October 2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Stiglr
Professional user

My only addition to this thread is to say that the process used to do texturing in AC3D is similar to the one Blender *finally* managed to arrive at. Although, last I checked, it's still not quite as easy to use as AC3D's. You don't get the point to point editing control in Blender. AC3D's process is still, IMO, the best and easiest you'll find anywhere.

Your problem is that you simply don't see in your mind's eye how the texture mapping works, and that is your downfall. If you would take the time to *patiently* gain that understanding, you'd be amazed at how simple and powerful it is.

I am willing to work with you on Skype to help you visualize the process. Send me a PM and a contact request via Skype and we can make it happen.

(By the way, I do agree with you that it should be possible to view by material number, so that you could texture similar items simultaneously...)

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals

Last edited by Stiglr; 10th October 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
render to texture, shadow maps, test scene, texture issues, texturing