Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Plugins and Other Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th March 2004, 02:48 PM   #1
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Bump_map the same as image texture ( Pov-Ray )

If you want to create a bump map of your texture that is in the same exact position and scale as your mapped texture, then you can do this:

Select your object and bring up the object property editor. In the example below, this is what you would enter into the box.

normal { uv_mapping bump_map { tga "c:/woody's stuff/custom models/various textures/metal/metal101.tga" interpolate 2 use_color } bump_size 5.0 no_bump_scale }

Take a look in the "Pov-Ray for newbies" guide for more info on bump maps to learn the basics.

After you created your object and have applied the image texture to it and adjusted it to fit using the TCE, you can enter this "normal" info into the object's property box and use the same image and directory to where the image is stored. When you enter the term "uv_mapping" into the normal info, it will use the same co-ordinance as the image texture.
Normally the bump_size ranges from 1.0 to as high as 5.0, but I have gone as high as 50.0 just for fun to make some really deep bumps.

As you can see the before and after effects of using this method, the exact same mapping and scale used to map the texture image to the original object is exactly the same for the bump map. Of coarse I used a bump_scale of 50.0 which may be a bit much ( just for example ), but it makes it look old and corroded. Cool eh?