Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th November 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
coanda
Expert member

Default DH-82 Tiger Moth WIP

Guys,

Heres what I'm working on at the moment!

I need a bit of help with a couple of areas....

1.the surfaces around the nose intake..I had to make some of the surfaces seperately from the surrounding object and it looks a bit odd......any help in removing this?

2.The model is built on one side and then mirrored, as you can see that leaves a delineation along the mirror line, can that be removed easily?

Cheers

Coanda
coanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 05:09 PM   #2
OPPIZ NAM
Advanced member

Default Re: DH-82 Tiger Moth WIP

you should see wat it looks like textuered first
OPPIZ NAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

Whenever you're mirroring large objects, you MUST weld the centerline vertice pairs/groups together, at your earliest opportunity!!! The idea is for your fuselage to be ONE object when you're through with it.

As for those surfaces around the intake... it might be that they're separate objects, rather than part of ONE fuselage. Select them in Object mode and see if you get just that one surface, or a large(r) part of the fuselage. (Another sign of this is when you select three or four vertices and create a surface; if you get a dialog box telling you the vertices come from different objects, and the surface you're about to create will be a separate object....there y'go!)

The other thing it could be, is that they just need smoothing as a group. Select all the surfaces on the front face of that fuse surrounding the intake aperture. Then smooth them together and see if that improves the look. You may need to smooth different groups, and larger sections in separate operations to get the effect you want. For example, a tricky bevelled lip might all be smoothed together, then the whole aperture face, then the inside of the intake.... and the entire fuselage might be smoothed separately as well.

Can't really tell how accurate your model is, since I don't know from a Tiger Moth...but it seems to be looking good! Carry on!

By the way, what are you planning to do with that Moth? Perhaps use it as a trainer plane in a flight sim...?

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

More on that intake...

On second glance, you might consider redoing that whole area to get better results.

If you can, get back to a solid fuse nose without the intake aperture. Or a fuse half, if that's what you were working with.

Use the Knife tool, along with a rectangle shape as the Knife, to accurately describe the aperture or aperture half. Combine any odd surfaces around and in the intake, such that the aperture or aperture half is one surface.

Then select that surface and extrude it into the fuselage. If it's a straight chute inside, one operation will do. If it's got a lip or a bevel, try Indent on the surface first (multiple times for a very rounded lip), and then Extrude the remaining inner surface inward. Cap the inside if you need to, or leave it uncapped to save polys.

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
Windows 7
CH Pedals
Old 13th November 2006, 01:15 PM   #5
coanda
Expert member

hey stiglr,

I intend to use it in x-pane, and maybe use it as my first msfs aircraft.

I have made some progress with the nose intake. it was all one object. originally I had a mirror of the other side and used the knife plugin to slice the surfaces. Corners and stuff all fell on one surface (so no slicing) so I had to:-

1. cut away that surface.
2. subdivide 2-3 times.
3. knife again.
4. delete all surfaces and most of the vertices until only the vertices defining the correct surface shape are left.
5. make new surface using a polygon, snapping relevant vertices together.
6. delete old vertices.
7. merge new and old objects.

phew lot of work huh? things would be soooo much easier if we could project lines onto surfaces, or create a polyline where a knife object and object to be knifed intersect.

The model is accurate enough for my purposes (and with the information I have!)

I've tried welding vertices before but it didnt seem to make a difference...perhpas its just because the two surfaces slope away from each other....

cheers

coanda
Old 13th November 2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Stiglr
Professional user

I don't quite see what you mean, but I don't think a basically square aperture should be all that much trouble. Perhaps what might have been better is to cut a basic square with the Knife tool, then, add and (re)position some vertices between the corners to describe any tricky angles or corners. Work with combined surfaces until you get the results you want, and then triangulate (if that's what your X-plane flight sim requires to render).

I had to use these kind of techniques to cut some intricate viewing portals in the belly of the Navy Buffalo. It would've been nice if the port was one homogenously subdivided square lattice shape, but, noooooooooooooooooooo...... Some windows were rounder, some were cut at angles, and the squares didn't all have the same dimensions....and the window went around the rounded belly contour of the fuselage: it took a lot of Knifing and surface combining to get what I wanted without creating a huge mess. But it worked out pretty good...

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
Windows 7
CH Pedals
Old 13th November 2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Stiglr
Professional user

Oh, and you might be interested in having this if you're going to properly outfit the cockpit and build the flight model: should go for cheap on ebay...

Tiger Moth Pilots Notes

My Gaming Rig:
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
Windows 7
CH Pedals
Old 13th November 2006, 04:40 PM   #8
coanda
Expert member

thanks stiglr...i've put in a bid for it.
Old 14th November 2006, 05:00 PM   #9
coanda
Expert member

won the auction, so they should help with the authenticity!