Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd July 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Serge Angeric

Default I would like to be able to build simple 3D boxes

Yes, By this I mean i have a need to build 3D boxes like book shelves.

But I also need

1) To be able tidentify each cell (like the space between its walls (Top, bottom, left and right)- I can give it a simple name like a coordinate of A, B, C, .. N and 1.2.3 etc)

2) Upon reading the particular cells I need to be able to recover their names and their characteristics (e.g length, width, height)

That should not be very difficult but I dont seem to be able to pass the first base.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Serge
Serge Angeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Terry Capps
Professional user

Default Re: I would like to be able to build simple 3D boxes

ac3d will not let you identify a space. You can label an object such as a box so you could create a box inside your bookcase "cell". The box would have the same dimensions as your "cell".

ac3d keeps track of where vertices, surfaces, and objects are, but it has no way of knowing what those make when they are put together like a box. Consequently, it would have no way to calculate the height, width, and depth of an object. You can create an object called a box, but ac3d doesn't actually recognize the object as a three dimensional kind of thing with height, width, or depth dimensions. It only keeps track of the ** locations ** of the vertices, surfaces, and objects.

To do what you want, you will need to write your own program that will read an ac3d file, look for the box-like structure that you labeled as "your_label", read in the vertex coordinates, and then calculate the height, width, and depth as you desire. A useful resource is the ac3d file format which can be found at http://www.inivis.com/ac3d/man/ac3dfileformat.htlm. This document will show you how ac3d keeps track of everything and should give you enough information to allow you to write your program. ac3d keeps all of its data in a text file with the extension ".ac". You can read an ac3d file in Wordpad or other text editing program.

Last edited by Terry Capps; 28th July 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Terry Capps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Serge Angeric

Default Re: I would like to be able to build simple 3D boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Capps View Post
ac3d will not let you identify a space. You can label an object such as a box so you could create a box inside your bookcase "cell". The box would have the same dimensions as your "cell".

ac3d keeps track of where vertices, surfaces, and objects are, but it has no way of knowing what those make when they are put together like a box. Consequently, it would have no way to calculate the height, width, and depth of an object. You can create an object called a box, but ac3d doesn't actually recognize the object as a three dimensional kind of thing with height, width, or depth dimensions. It only keeps track of the ** locations ** of the vertices, surfaces, and objects.

To do what you want, you will need to write your own program that will read an ac3d file, look for the box-like structure that you labeled as "your_label", read in the vertex coordinates, and then calculate the height, width, and depth as you desire. A useful resource is the ac3d file format which can be found at http://www.inivis.com/ac3d/man/ac3dfileformat.htlm. This document will show you how ac3d keeps track of everything and should give you enough information to allow you to write your program. ac3d keeps all of its data in a text file with the extension ".ac". You can read an ac3d file in Wordpad or other text editing program.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try waht you suggest.

Serge
Serge Angeric is offline   Reply With Quote