Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
James

Default Wanted: detailed pre-dreadnought battleships and armoured cruisers

Can anyone direct me to a site where I may purchase AC3d compatible pre-dreadnought battleships and armoured cruisers? I know there is someone featured in the galleries who is working on these but I was hoping for models with a much higher level of detail, including rigging, antennae, etc. There is a site:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3D200%26um%3D1

that makes wonderful models but they are not compatible with AC3d (I asked). The ones I wish to purchase are closer to this level of detail.

Also, I have the older version of AC3d (the one with words for "box, cylinder, polyline, etc. instead of icons), as I have not upgraded yet for fear of having unpleasant surprises with 'improvements' and I am not sure any model site suggestions sent my way will be compatible; I hope they are.
I was wondering if there was any kind of function by function comparison between the two versions of AC3d. When I tried out the newest Photoshop I found it had discarded many features that were very useful to me in PS7 and was lucky I still had the older version on a drive. The new MSWord is also an example of a novel version I do not prefer to the one I am used to. Could anyone tell me if there are any features/functions in the new AC3d that have been removed? I am having trouble running the Extrude Along Path plugin and think it might be due to my older version.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You
James Ortega
proteus19m@yahoo.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Wanted: detailed pre-dreadnought battleships and armoured cruisers

I can't think of too much if anything off the top of my head that's been removed in the new version, but try writing support and see if they have a changelog. You could also try the demo of the new version--I think there's a changelog in the installer. I usually leave my old versions installed when I install the new version until I'm sure everything works okay, and I've never had a problem doing that.

As far as where to find models, you could try turbosquid.com. You're unlikely to find models in AC3D format, but I've downloaded models in .OBJ and .3DS format and imported them into AC3D before.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
James

Red face Re: Wanted: detailed pre-dreadnought battleships and armoured cruisers

Thank you very much, Lisa, for your suggestions.
I use AC3d only as a animatic/scene blueprint generator for graphic novel paintings involving static architecture/vessels, etc. (stuff that doesn't change it's shape too much unless damaged, eaten, etc.), no skins, animation, shadows, etc. (all that is painted/photoshop'd ) and so my progress in learning new applications is extremely slow and entirely need-based. I was only interested in upgrading because my newly uploaded 'extrude along pathway' still does not seem to work. I have watched the short silent movie tutorial numerous times but am still at sea over the whole business. I have even tried Youtubing it with no success. It might be because of my older version but am not sure. Do you know if I have to pay again for an upgrade? I can ask Andy Coleburn, who is always very nice and helpful, for some simple instructions in either case.

Also, I don't know how to change formats between the different file types you mentioned from turbosquid.com. I am very interested in checking out the site but do not have the fluid mastery you do with doing extra-progam functions like translating file types for import blueprints, buying complicated models, etc. Do I need to download a special program (like a pdf-creator or zipfile extractor type thing) to do this, or is this something I can do with a regular Windows OS PC? If it is too long to explain, could you send me a link to a tutorial that teaches me this ability? My limitations are starting to compromise my final product. I used to be able to upload files in .bmp, etc from my jpg pics for blueprints for aircraft, robots, etc. and now that's gone: the only compatible file types are ones I cannot save a jpg or psd to with their scroll-down options. What do I need in order to do this?

I know I'm asking a bit much to be led by the hand a bit, but I am a bit old-fashioned and do not take so easily to these digital gymnastics others are so comfortable with. I would really love to be able to purchase premade models I can then kitbash for parts, and could really use learning this extrude along path thing as it seems a useful tool for making dendritic pipe shapes (veins, roller coaster tracks, etc) and complex curves like realistically billowing sails. Any help a little more detailed than that silent tutorial would be plenty appreciated, or the necessity to upgrade altogether...
I thank you for any help you might be able to give.

James Ortega
boilerroomproductions.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote