Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st June 2006, 11:37 PM   #1
SAT
Expert member

Default Overlay Textures Please

I have found many-a-time a need to put more than one texture on a surface. I would like to see this ability in AC3D. Maybe someone can make a plug-in?
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:24 AM   #2
captainj2410
Professional user

Default Re: Overlay Textures Please

Each object can handle only one texture. Any overlayment could be accomplished in photoshop or by making seperate objects with the transparency on the outer object set so that it looks like the textures overlap.
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
SAT
Expert member

Sure those things can be done. However, it would be much easier to overlay textures, than go though all the trouble of blending textures in PhotoShop (or whatever), or adding transparent polygons. I have to have the smallest polygon count I can, because it will be exported to .mesh and used in online environments via Blink3D.
Old 26th June 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
captainj2410
Professional user

Well, this is the point at which I'd cry like a baby and ask one of the programmers. I'm at a loss, sorry.
captainj2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 05:51 PM   #5
SAT
Expert member

Or I could buy one of those other 3D programs that already allow more than one texture per surface. But then I wouldn't need AC3D anymore
Old 27th June 2006, 02:36 AM   #6
Thaellin
Professional user

I'm also interested in this feature, as there are a large number of interesting effects which can be achieved through multitexturing.

The issue for the programmers is that AC3D currently only supports a specific set of attributes per vertex, and that includes only one set of texture coordinates. Objects only specify a single texture entry but that's easier to overcome.

Once the capability to specify these things is added to the program, Inivis will have to provide an intuitive method for selecting the active texture coordinate set for editing (likely a drop-list in the TCE), and provide all the associated interfaces.

It's certainly not insurmountable, and I'm confident the support is slated for a future release (though which one it's currently set for is unknown). User feedback like this is the right way to make sure it gets prioritized appropriately... I would consider this a good thing for them to consider in the next release.

-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote