Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd July 2007, 08:00 AM   #1
mick miller

Default Import help for AC3D newbie

Hi, as mentioned very new to AC3D, although I've worked with Lightwave on and off for years. To that end I'm having problems with a .lwo imported object. The object imports fine and in the iso views displays a texture (just a simple plain texture like a muddy red). I didn't attach or import a texture as well, so I'm guessing this is a AC3D default applied.

My problem is the camera view shows no texture at all! Therefore, when I save the object out as a sculpty (for use in SL), the resultant .tga image/object file is just black.

My question is, is there a way to apply a simple texture within AC3D to the imported object so that the export will work? Or do I need to download a renderer (in which case which one for OS X 10.4?) phew!

Thanks in advance for any help...I have looked and gone through the manual, but alas can't find the answer I'm seeking.
mick miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:36 AM   #2
coldby
Professional user

Default Re: Import help for AC3D newbie

Hi Mick,
if a texture whatsoever is all you need and you don't care for UV mapping, it's just a matter of a few clicks: select your object, then go to "Object" menu -> "Texture" and browse for whatever texture you prefer (OK, you must at least know where you can find one )
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:37 PM   #3
mick miller

Yep, I had tried that, I should have mentioned. I still get no rendered preview in the camera window when importing the .lwo object. It's just a bunch of transparent polys as far as I can see. Despite the texture I apply from the texture chooser. The iso windows show the object with the texture applied. I'm confused.

Am I missing something fundemental here? Has anyone else imported .lwo objects into AC3D.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:59 AM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Hi Mick!

Your object has to have a UV map if you want to export it to SecondLife. Whether or not a texture is applied isn't important, it's only important that the texture coordinates have been set.

You'll need to apply a spherical map to your object, and make sure you have no holes in the map. You can do this with the UV Map tool on the Tools menu in AC3D. Second Life only supports spherical wrapping through the UI at the moment, but if you're willing to delve into a little bit of LSL, there are some other map modes possible (planar and torus, especially).

Oh, and no, a renderer isn't needed. You can do everything you need to directly in AC3D.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 03:46 AM   #5
coldby
Professional user

Mick, it occurs to me that you might not have set the window properties correctly: maybe if you check in the 3D menu (the one on the top bar, not the one over the 3D window) you could as well find out that you've missed a minor triviality
Good luck
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 12:36 PM   #6
mick miller

Thanks for all of your replies...the window view has been resolved [bangs head] and thanks for the textures suggestions which I'm now about to try.

This hopefully will solve the exported sculpty .tga from being completely black (not handy) and does sound like a likely solution (thanks lisa!)