Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
BlatterChip

Default Textures disappearing when objects are merged

Hello

I'm a complete noob to 3D modelling - I'm trying out the trial version of AC3D before purchasing. I have made a very simple collection of objects as a "trial" model (a space ship) and have applied a texture to each object. All is well up to this point - but when I merge the objects into one model all the textures disappear. If I try to apply the textures after merging the various objects that make up the model space ship, I cann't select individual objects any more (naturally) because they have been merged. I know I'm doing things wrong but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!

Any help and guidance will be graetly appreciated.
BlatterChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 06:00 PM   #2
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Re: Textures disappearing when objects are merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlatterChip View Post
but when I merge the objects into one model all the textures disappear.
This happens because you can't have more that one texture per object.
When you merge 2 textured objects (each having a different texture), AC3D chooses one of the 2 textures and applies it to the new merged object (I'm not too sure they're really disappearing).

If you want to keep your 2 objects merged, then you will have to make a single texture that contains the 2 initial textures (a texture map that is), and to UV map your (new) object again.

HTH
Old 30th January 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
BlatterChip

Hi Luukyy

Thank you for your reply, having read that I now understand the problem. I have been making a few mistakes whilst exporting the model. If I explain it may help other noobs.

At first, I tried to export the model after "grouping" the individual objects together. When I used the model (in a C# programme), it was fragmented (i.e.the individual objects occupied random spacial relationships to each other). By "merging" the objects and then exporting, the model looked fine but I had the problem you pointed out where the model would only use one texture. I then realised that I was not setting the export operation up correctly.

After pressing file>export> and got the export dialogue window, the "Frames" option was not ticked. Once this was done ("frames only for groups") the "grouped" (but not merged) model exported fine with the textures associated with each object on the model.

Hope that was clear. I'm still in the early stages of learning to use AC3D but thanks to your help I'm making progress. I assume that the way I've gone about the export procedure is Ok in terms of not putting a performance penalty on the application - any guidance is again greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Luukyy
Old 3rd February 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Most games use "unified textures" for performance. They take all the textures for an object--or as many as they can--and fit them onto the same map. Any geometry that doesn't animate is welded together.

Here's a good example of someone who textured a house. Everything including the lawn is packed into one texture:
http://gregorburns.net/pages/texture%20map.htm

As luuckyy mentioned, you can do this in AC3D using the texture coordinate editor.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 08:52 PM   #5
BlatterChip

Hi Lisa - yes I understand now - thanks for that