Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th March 2010, 04:45 AM   #1
macphile

Default I'm lost

(I'll preface this by saying that I'm new to this--not just AC3D but the whole scene.)

I want to make a cake slice--basically, a quarter of a cylinder, but with rounded edges at the top and bottom of the back surface (hence the need for a sculpty rather than a regular SL shape). I've been at this for hours, and everything I do is just...a disaster.

I've tried subtracting with another shape, and even when it's supposedly lined up along the right vertices, it always manages to remove some random little triangular surface somewhere. I've tried just flat-out deleting surfaces and adding new ones. I've tried...I don't even know anymore.

Probably obviously, the few maps I've exported have been full of black, but I can never really even get the shape right in the first place.

It seems like this should be a simple thing to make, but it's defeating me.

Help, please? Thanks!
macphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:11 AM   #2
coldby
Professional user

Default Re: I'm lost

I think that generating a quarter of a cylinder the way you want it is way easier than cutting it off something else. Try this:

1 - draw a cross-section of half-a-cake, making sure the "central" vertices are on the Y axis.

2 - rotate it by 90° about the Y axis

In order to make it easier to texturize you may now want to combine all top (and bottom) co-planar surfaces - most applications won't frown at that as long as the resulting surface is convex.

Enjoy your cake :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by coldby; 23rd March 2010 at 06:17 AM.
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote