Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th July 2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Wiggles
Expert member

Default Changing surface type

I'm trying to model a car, I drew a line around the side, then tried to change it to poly, to get the surface, but this is what happened.

Is this the wrong way to do it?

Am I off on a bad start?

Not sure how to go about changing the shape to match the car.
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Changing surface type

It certainly can be accomplished with the method you're using, although there are many other ways to go about it. In my experience, if you continue to use the method you've started with it will usually go a little faster and you'll get a cleaner mesh if you start from the nose and work toward the tail, instead of from the side. Also, don't include thing like the wheels as part of your outline... make them their own object instead. It will go much smoother.

As far as alternative methods, the method I personally use most often is called the box modeling method. Basically, you start with a box, turn on subdivisions, and continue extruding surfaces until you get the shape you want.

I posted a short video of a very rough car model so you can see an example:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uEfDw8YMxKo
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 12:51 PM   #3
0xdeadbeef

Default Re: Changing surface type

When converting a polyline to a surface/polygon, the order in which the vertices are selected is important. If you just select all the vertices and then chose "create ordered surface", the surface is a mess as the order of the vertices is by chance of whatever. Instead, select the vertices one by one (while shift is pressed) counter-clockwise.

BTW: as an AC3D improvement suggestion: why not store the creation order of the vertices of a polyline and use this as the default order for surface creation? This is at least how other 3D modellers are handling the same issue.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote