Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd October 2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Steven
Advanced member

Default WHICH VIDEO CARDS ARE YOU USING with AC3D? Recommendations?

Hi,

My video card is old now and offer limited capability and performance. I have an ATI Rage Fury pro that support OpenGL but has difficulty to display multiple OpenGL windows. Therefore erratic behaviour and slow speed occur from time to time when using AC3D. The card is also slow with the latest video games like GhostRecon, StarWars Jedi Knight 2 Outcast, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II... If I can make them run, I must limit the resolution and visual effects... and the frame rate is still poor at some occasions. Also the card do not support bump mapping, shadow, reflection via hardware. Antialias, forget it. I cannot use these great visual effects with Chess Master 9000 for example.

I need to upgrade to a newer card and I was looking for a video card that offer good performance, reliability and compatibility and that works very well with AC3D. Say for a price range of ($ = US currency)

a) $50 -$100 (highest odds that I spend that money)
b) $100 - 200 (probably, if its really worth it)
c) >$200 (however I am not ready to spend that money yet... maybe in two years!)

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

The strategy is to get a good card, still better than what I have at a decent price and wait a couple of years before buying a high end card like the ATI Radeon 9800XT for example.

I wish to hear your experience - good or bad - with your video card, that is How do you like your video card?...strenght, weakness, recommendation, price/performance ratio, what is a good deal etc. And of course what would you recommend to me!

I personnaly own a:
- Pentium III (coppermine) 1GHz with 768Mbytes of memory.
- Use both Windows XP PRO and Windows 98 on the same computer system. (AC3D is used on Window XP pro).
- ATI RageFury Pro (rage128 chipset) with 32Mbytes video RAMS.

Thanks,
Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 01:07 AM   #2
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Default Re: WHAT VIDEO CARDS YOU ARE USING with AC3D? Recommendation

Well the best bang for your buck right now if you plan on gaming with it is probably the 9600XT it's 199 plus you get half life 2 free when it comes out. On that smae note you may be able to fine a 9500/9600 pro for under $200 these are the best cards not surpassing your price range. If you you can wait to upgrade for about 6 months then you should be able to find 9800 pro's 128 for about 200 when the new ATI cards(core upgrades) come out. Of course their are other cards cheaper but if you don't plan on buying a new card for another 2 years and you still want to use upcoming software then this is the best course of action. If you don't want to spend that kind of money and actually gamed on the rage 128 frequently then anycard would do 7500, 8500, and GF4(all other GF's are bad avoid them even the fx series)etc.
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 01:30 AM   #3
Razer
Professional user

Ge Force 3 here (the very first one to come out by VisionTek) and it works great.
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 01:40 AM   #4
-WOODY-
Professional user

I bought a Nvidia G Force 128 meg TI 4200 for under a hundred bucks. It's an all around good running card for the money. I had an ATI a few years ago, but had problems with it. I don't know how they are now days.
Some swear that the new 9800's are good, but I don't have a bottomless wallet to accommodate such niceties.

BTW, there seems to be a lot more people signing up with the forum lately. More the better!
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Steven
Advanced member

What is the difference between an Nvidia TI 4200 and FX5200?
Because it seems that the 4200 is not on shelf of many store anymore. Is the 5200 or the 4200 the most advance? And what about "most bang for the buck" - 4200 or 5200 ?

Thanks

Steven
Old 24th October 2003, 12:00 PM   #6
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Re: WHAT VIDEO CARDS ARE YOU USING with AC3D? Recommendation

To be honest I have no idea what the differences are. On a gaming forum I was asking everyone the same question as you are and the most common response was the TI 4200.
That's been awhile back so there may be more similar cards that have dropped in price since then.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 05:22 PM   #7
Steven
Advanced member

Default Re: WHAT VIDEO CARDS ARE YOU USING with AC3D? Recommendation

I found good articles on ExtremeTech, a branch of PC-MAGAZINE. One is a "Super Guide" to video cards in general at:
http://www.extremetech.com/category2...,485674,00.asp

Another specifically dedicated to the ATI 9600 at:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1030898,00.asp

A review of brand **NEW** Nvidia video cards at:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1361645,00.asp

And a good article about the TI4200 at:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,543318,00.asp

At last, nothing is better than real user opinion! Please keep posting your opinion about video cards.
- Which video card are you using with AC3D and for gaming ?
- How much you like (or hate) your video card?
- Experience with video cards in general
- Which video card would you recommend to use with AC3D and games as
function of price range.

Please keep posting, this will be appreciated by all participant on this AC3D forum.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 25th October 2003, 08:30 PM   #8
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Default Re: WHICH VIDEO CARDS ARE YOU USING with AC3D? Recommendatio

ok try this, it's obvious you want the most bang for your buck.

Go buy a ATI Radeon 9600 install it run the settings at 1024x768 or whatever resolution you use. Turn up the features all the way on the card using quality settings, Then play a game and try AC3d. If you have any trouble with install or questions on settings ask me or go to the forums at:
www.rage3d.com
(Keep in mind the higher the monitor resolution the slower the performance true for ANY card. 1024x768 is a sweet point though go higher if needed though.)

After testing it for a day or two uninstall it and take it back get whichever Nvidia card you want my personal preference would be a GF4(non MX card) they are the best bang for your buck if you go with nvidia. If you have any problems go to www.nvnews.com forums for help.

Now have tested both cards for your self if you like the gf4 keep it or if you like the 9600 return the gf4 and get one.

as for your question;

ATI 9500 PRO
Best card I have ever used
Scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being a ATI employee) a high 6. I have used a good variety of Nvidia or ATI cards, I settled on ATI especially for this generation.
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2003, 05:29 PM   #9
Steven
Advanced member

Default Re: WHICH VIDEO CARDS ARE YOU USING with AC3D? Recommendatio

That's an excellent suggestion Cowboybebop!

Coincidently, my eyes are on the ATI 9600 and the Nvidia TI4200 (video board by MSI) right now! Guess that price and availability will also be a factor to take into consideration. ATI9600 boards are every where, while the TI4200 availability is very rare! I have still your advice in mind, and will avoid any video board based on Nvidia FX chipsets.

Thanks again,

Steven