Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th January 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Stiglr
Professional user

Default A couple of alignment questions...

I remember asking awhile ago whether the three axes could be changed to align with how they're oriented in the other 3D programs. I was told that would be a problem...so be it.

OK, so I've figured out how to compensate for that... but a couple of other things have surfaced as a result.

1) 3D Window Spin/Walk: the way it's set up now, it's more intuitive-feeling to be working on a model that's "right side up" with relation to the viewer. Mouse movements to the horizontal operate at a different sensitivity/speed than up/down. Is there a line in the setup that could be changed to adjust (or more accurately, reverse) those mouse control sensitivities??

2) Viewport names: What I've done as a workaround to the out-of-sync X,Y,Z orientations is to flip the finished model around before importing it into the simulation I'm working with. I'm considering trying to set up my initial 3-views to take the orientation issue out of the equation before I even start creating any objects, but see #1...it's more difficult to "walk around" and orient the model in the 3D view.

It can even make working with the TCE harder, as when you're trying to remap something from the Left view, a "flipped" model might mean that you really want to remap from the Front. This need to keep reorienting yourself adds minutes to the detail work of skinning a model. Does the capability exist to custom RENAME the viewports? Could you get into the settings and rename the Left viewport "Right view"? Rename Bottom viewport as "Back", etc., etc.?

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Hi Stiglr,

I don't have advice on your problem directly, just wondering what other 3D programs are you using that force you to re-orient your views? Sorry if you've answered this in the past, but it seems like a major disadvantage to work on a model that isn't ideally oriented... Seems we should be able to come up with a solution that allows you to model "properly" in AC3D then export the data as you need it.

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

A better solution might be to add a couple of buttons (from a simple script), these would rotate the whole model into (and out of) AC3D's coordinate system. This should be quick to implement.

You can change walk_move_speed in the preferences file to change the speed of movement in walk-mode. (there's also walk_turn_speed for turning)

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

I'm importing AC3D models into Targetware, which has Z as the up/down axis, where as AC3D has Y as that axis (or it's reversed... but you get my point).

Because there are a lot of files with specific x,y,z locations, and directions for rotation and movement of objects, you have to make a lot of fine alignments, etc. for things to animate properly. Reorienting a model while trying to import it into Targetware can be a nightmare: you're trying to move an object .005m in any given direction, and the orientation differences make a positive value a negative, or changes the order in which you order a ##,##,## line of values. In short it's a major headache and adds several x the hours needed to perform these tasks.

I've also noticed that 3DMax, and I also think Lightwave, Maya all use "Z = up/down" orientation, and AC3D is the "odd man out". I don't necessarily feel you have to conform to this convention, but being different does have repercussions.

I'm dutifully trying to figure out ways to "not make it an issue", and the idea of solving the rotation problem from the get go would be fine, if only I could have my viewports showing me "Top" when I'm looking at the top of an aircraft, and not the nose.... and in the other case, if it still feels intuitive to spin around a model as you work on it and inspect it in 3D view, then I can very easily just model my objects "on their sides" in the future.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 11:47 AM   #5
griff
Professional user

Hi Stiglr,

I'm not sure that AC3D is the 'odd one out'.

Lightwave has Y axis up/down, Z axis in/out. Other programs that I have tried and conform to this description include:

Poser, Lifeforms, Daz Studio, Bryce, Wings3D, Deligne3D, Polytrans

The only 3d objects I have ever used that gave me problems were .3ds objects.

Now maybe these programs have some kind of 'Preference' setting that will allow a re-orientation of the axis .... maybe we can get feedback from people using other programs.

Regards,

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 03:56 PM   #6
uffdaken
Advanced member

Default Re: A couple of alignment questions...

Did a search and came across this inquiry by Stiglr. I would like to be able to rename the "Front (XY)" to "Right (XY)" and "Left (ZY)" to be renamed "Back (ZY)". This is just for this project. Starting to make a Manitowoc 4000W Crawler Crane. The right side of crane is where the cab is and the boom is attached at the front of the crane. The Counterweights are attached at the back end. I wonder since 2006 if anything was done to be able to rename the viewports. So glad to see X64 version.
uffdaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Well you can't change Y from being up, and the axis labels will remain, but you can edit tcl/ac3dview.tcl and change this line:

set strings { "Front (XY)" "Left (ZY)" "Top (XZ)" "Back (XY)" "Right (ZY)" "Bottom (XZ)" "3D (XYZ)" }

That will change the names in the option menu above each view.

Best to make a backup before you do any edits.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 05:25 PM   #8
uffdaken
Advanced member

Thanks. Andy
uffdaken is offline   Reply With Quote