Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th May 2006, 05:11 AM   #1
tomtheAtom

Default How to select surfaces with normals of a specific direction?

Hi everybody,

I am working with AC3D now for some time mainly to get 3D models for visualization purposes in my Flexsim-Simulation-Models.
So I am still a beginner in AC3D or let me say in using of 3D-Drawing-Programs. In most cases I get a 3D model from someone and import it in AC3D, may change a very few things (material, delete some parts, etc.) and than export the 3D model into a *.wrl file. This *.wrl file I import later into Flexsim to have a nice 3D model.

Anyway, very often I face the problem that the normals of the surfaces does not have the same direction. On some surfaces of e.g. a sphere the normals are facing inside and on other surfaces they facing outside. If I select all surfaces and do flip normals, than the normals are the other way round and I still have my problem.
My problem is, that the surfaces not looking the same, e.g. some of them are visible others are invisible, because of the normals and one-sided-surfaces, I think.
I tried to make all surfaces two-sided-surfaces (found a hint in the forum). This looks good in AC3D but if I export it into a *.wrl and import it in Flexsim, it looks like the surfaces are one sided again or look different.
So on one object I select every single surface, check the direction of the normals and where needed I flip them. Quite a lot of work.

I am just wonder if this is the only possibility to do this or is there an easier faster way?

So in other words, is there a way to make the surfaces of e.g. a sphere only to look outside?
Is there a way to select all surfaces where the normals "look" in one specific direction?

I would be thankful for every help or hint. If there are further questions about my problem, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance.

tom the (A)tom

P.S.: AC3D is a great software. Thanks guys for this nice piece of software!
tomtheAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Spinner
Professional user

If you turn on textures in perspective view with one sided, you'll see a hole were ever a normal points in the 'wrong' direction. You can then press shift+left click each hole to select the lot (rotate object to see each side and turn off select backfaces first), then flip normals.
Simplest way I've found, so far.

Blessed are the cracks,
For they let in the light
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote