Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th July 2005, 08:05 AM   #1
Spinner
Professional user

Default AC3D RAM requirements?

Having some display probs and didnt on the trial version, on my desktop with one GB of RAM.
I installed the registered copy on a laptop as I get a lot of free time away from the desktop. It came with 256 installed and I added another 256 stick, thinking that that should be OK with AC3D.
Now my vanishing wireframes are making me wonder if it needs more RAM?
How much RAM is everyone else useing?
I'm finding only some of an objects wireframes will be displayed often. Any that intersect the window edge always appear when they should but often the middle ones go AWOL.
Any other ideas what I could do to overcome this?
Spinner

Blessed are the cracks,
For they let in the light
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 09:58 AM   #2
foxa
Professional user

I am running Win2k with 512mb on my desktop and 256mb on my laptop and it works great (as long as you don't get crazy with the poly count). Sounds to me like a display driver problem.

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

512mb here as well, although the only problems I have when I start using too much memory is things get a bit slow. In my experience, it takes a fairly big model and/or many very large textures to cause this to happen,

Are entire wireframes disappearing, or just parts of them?

If only parts of them are disappearing, select the wireframe and set it to 2-sided (the "2S" button at the bottom left). One-sided polygons won't show up in 1-sided mode if they are facing "away" from the camera. Not that you necessarily want the polygons to be 2-sided, just something to check out.

And as Art mentioned, it may be a driver problem --- if the above solution doesn't work, I'd try updating your video drivers.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Spinner
Professional user

Thanks for the ideas.
Its whole sections that arent appearing and its not consistant. ie all between two rows of knife inserted vertexes can be shown sometimes and not others. The one consistant thing is that if I zoom the view untill the edge overlaps the area, they'll always appear.
I'll take a couple of screenies to illustrate.
Latest graphic drivers and put a borrowed 1GB stick in and there was no change, but thanks for the suggestions.
Spinner

Blessed are the cracks,
For they let in the light
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote