Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2007, 10:15 PM   #1
Wiggles
Expert member

Default New to 3D modeling

Hi,

I just downloaded the trial of this software.

I did try the tutorial of texturing a car from this site, however I found when trying to draw the poly it kept filling it in and I could no longer see the car. May be a feature to turn off, or maybe it just worked on the older version?

What do you guys recommend for someone who has never done this before?

I think what I would like to end up doing first would be modeling my car. Then maybe rooms in my house or, some of my transformers .

What'd be neat is if I could model my mini helicopter right down to the last screw, and piece it together.

I really like claude9's superbikes, i'd like to do that with my car first. How would I go about doing this? Or should I start somewhere else first?

Why did you guys pick AC3D?
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Wiggles
Expert member

Default Re: New to 3D modeling

Any good books or tutorials to pick up on, to learn this?
Old 4th July 2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
I did try the tutorial of texturing a car from this site, however I found when trying to draw the poly it kept filling it in and I could no longer see the car.
I'm not sure what you mean here --- can you try to elaborate?

I'd start with the tutorials from the AC3D tutorials page at http://www.inivis.com/tutorials.html . Start with the first one covering the basics and move on from there. The AC3D manual is a great reference as well.

There are no books of which I'm aware that are AC3D-specific --- it seems most AC3D users either learned with a hands-on approach (plus the tutorials/manual), or came into AC3D with an existing background from having used other software packages.

The best advice I can offer is that you go through the tutorials, browse the manual, and keep experimenting.

Good luck!
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Wiggles
Expert member

I think I figured that I needed to draw it in polyline, instead of poly mode, then change it to poly when i'm done. Basically I drew the lines in poly and it covered up the wheel well to where i couldn't see it to trace it.

I'm starting to read through the whole manual.

I wasn't talking about program specific books, but more like books on the concepts of 3d modeling, that could be used for any modeling software.

Is that how you basically model real world objects, is find 3 views, or maybe even take pictures of them, and trace it out and work with it to get it as close as you can?

How can you make things to scale? Say I wanted to model my desk, I would have to measure it, then how could I make it all proportional in the program? Then I'd need to take pictures of it to get the textures?

I know this is an AC3D forum, but why does one choose AC3D over the other modelers out there?
Old 5th July 2007, 04:04 AM   #5
frimi
Expert member

AC3D ist quick and fast and, of course, good
Old 6th July 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

There are quite a lot of good 3D tutorials on the web. A lot of tutorials are for specific software, but I've found that for the most part it's all interchangeable, at least on a conceptual level.

As far as something more in-depth, some people have recommended to me the DVD tutorials at Gnomon Workshop (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/) although I haven't purchased any myself yet.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote