Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2008, 01:44 AM   #1
EagletomCZ

Default Gripen in progress

Hi, I am on trial just now and working on Gripen model. AC3D looks good, but there are several things I lack in such tool ... e.g. something like "beziere curves" or similar tool for smooth deformation of lines. It would be very helpful to create smooth surfaces. All smoothy you can see at my model is "hard handy work vertice by vertice" ...... For example airfoil of wing I did from base elipse line, which I have to modify vertice by vertice, and the axtrude to wing (step by step). Possibility of "curving" of this base elipse shape in some "beziere" manner would be very helpful.

Maybe I am "newbie lama" and donīt know how to use all programe features, so I you could give me some advice?

Last edited by EagletomCZ; 22nd July 2008 at 01:59 AM.
EagletomCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:02 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Gripen in progress

There is a surface spline tool that will let you transform a polyline, etc., into a basic spline, but I think what you're really looking for is subdivision surfaces. Subdivision surfaces basically let you make smooth curves from flat surfaces. (A better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull...vision_surface)

You can change the subdivision level of an object either from the Object menu, or in the Object Properties on the Tools menu.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:52 AM   #3
EagletomCZ

OK, subdivision tool works fine, if you create new surface at low division, do shape corrections and then subdivide it step by step, then you can make nice smooth surface. But if you have some existing surface (for example extruded new "layer" from some initial shape) and you want proportionally form f.e. partial shape "line" with 20 vertices at the time (and keep only marginal vertices), you cannot do it by subdivision. In other words, subdivision can smooth cornered surface by adding vertices, and what I need is to form existing vertices without subdivision ..... unfortunately.
EagletomCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:33 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Hmm. That one is a little tricky. You can try the "smooth" command on the vertex menu. Usually it's best to build it from extruded polyline splines (surface > spline) or subd in the first place though. You can use your existing shape as a template by locking it and tracing over it if you wanted to try.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote