Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
nIGHTmAYOR

Question equivalent to other 3d tools in ac3d?

I am new to ac3d but its quite comprehensible, i am facing though some issues i wounder if any came across.
1st, if i cut a shape usually it becomes hollow, i am used to a tool that is called CAP to add surface that covers a cut to make the object solid, i noticed that extrude tool in ac3d has a CAP option you tick but at least for me it doesn't do a thing , so how is it possible to replicate capping in ac3d?
2nd, is it possible to get a baked texture and shaders map? i played around and all i could get was a light and shadow map so if not, any hints on how to use that map to bake it with texture?
3rd, there is usually a mean to seal a hole by collecting vertices of edges into 1 vertex at the center, is that achievable with ac3d in such a way or have to go through it manually?
4th, i could notice that on any attempt to merge or subtract from the secondlife objects and then tried to export a map the resulting map file would resolve a sphere (and yes i make sure on merge no hidden vertexes are overlapping or hidden inside), also if i tried to work with mesh yet follow the fundamentals of sculpting (no holes, no pointed edges, object perfectly wraps) i still cant export a sculpted map file but a black texture am i doing something wrong?
nIGHTmAYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
nIGHTmAYOR

Default Re: equivalent to other 3d tools in ac3d?

Ok lets share my findings in case anybody ever bothered.
1 - cap option on extrude tool doesn't work for real, on the other hand what does cap's work is: vertex > create ordered surface (for 3 vertices) if more then use rather: vertex > create 2d mesh (select appropriate perspective) followed by several: surface > combine.
2 - Tools > Render to texture > Tick first three options
3 - vertex > snap together
4 - there are minimal support to secondlife's sculpted maps, the only supported way is to use the sculpted examples provided by ac3d as a base start, then surface > divide and combine are your friends along with manual aligning of vertices (just like actual sculpting
nIGHTmAYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: equivalent to other 3d tools in ac3d?

Cap option for extrude works fine for me, as does the option to reverse the side the extruded surfaces face. Perhaps review your choices for 1- or 2-sided objects, and/or try to select the "invisible" capped surface and see if maybe it IS there after all?

After a quick experiment, I found that the "Remove original" check box in the Extrude feature set doesn't seem to be working properly. I created a sphere, selected one surface and extruded it with Cap End checked, and also with it UN-checked. I got the desired results both times. But, when I checked Remove original and extruded, the original surface was still at the base of the extruded stalk. (I had to remove the cap of the extruded stalk to check, but still, it was there, where a hole should've.

Vertex > Snap Together: this works perfectly. Select any number of vertices >1. Select the Snap Together menu item and they merge together (I think to an averaged location; I would prefer there be a way to assign which vertex location they all snap to, such as the first or last vertex selected!) However this does NOT merge all the vertices into one vertice. for that you must immediately select Vertex > Weld Vertices. THEN all the snapped surfaces will be one single vertice, and any open edges (red or blue) will be filled in. After that, you can split a vertice and turn it into multiple ones (one for each surface which leads to another contiguous vertice in the object.

About sealing a hole in the center. You may not want to actually snap vertices, as this creates a point (bunching the hole), and you may want to actually cap a hole. To do this, in vertex select mode, select all the vertices, in order, around the hole in counterclockwise order. Then select Ctrl+Shift+S or Vertex > Create Ordered Surface. That will create a surface that caps the hole. You may or may not need to triangulate the surface, if Second Life requires triangulated or 4-sided surfaces ONLY.

I don't know anything about Second Life, so I can't help you with anything specific to that.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals

Last edited by Stiglr; 15th February 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote