Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th December 2006, 07:04 PM   #1
coanda
Expert member

Default Select whole object within TCE screen.....

Pretty much as it say's in the title....I'd like to select multiple objects within the modelling screen, go to the TCE screen, and select individual objects from within the TCE screen, this would make positioning parts within a texture allot easier.

Cheers

Coanda
coanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 09:08 PM   #2
mconn1
Expert member

Default Re: Select whole object within TCE screen.....

What you are asking for can be done now.

You will need to open both the TCE screen and the Hierarchy screen. With both on the screen you can select, from the Hierarchy screen, each object within the World enviroment.

In simplest terms, you could have a sphere, a cylinder and a box on the TCE at the same time. Using the Hierarchy screen to select each of the objects they will become highlighted on the TCE and you can position each object onto it's corresponding texture.

For more complex structures you can do the same thing, only you need to organize your hierarchy structure to allow selections of multiple objects from within the hierarchy structure.

You can also individually select each object to move indiviually from the others by dragging a selection box around the object you wish to move.

Ideally, a dual monitor system makes this much easier as you can maximize the area for both the Hierarchy window and the TCE. With one monitor it reduces the real estate that is usable to texture each object. You can always zoom in on the TCE to make texturing easier.

You can also, select objects from the work area and the object will appear on the TCE as a highlighted object. This is a lot harder to do on a single monitor system as most of the work area is hidden by the the other window.

Last edited by mconn1; 30th December 2006 at 09:11 PM.
mconn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 09:15 PM   #3
coanda
Expert member

Having just tried your first suggestion, I see that, unfortunately it doesn't provide the functionality I'm after....I want to select one object, as a whole (not by surfaces or vertices) from the TCE window (or the hierarchy list) after selecting a number of objects in the editor window. This is because I want to position the parts, relative to each other, on the texture, after remapping each part, as, when first put in the texture window all parts have a screwy layout.
coanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 11:36 PM   #4
mconn1
Expert member

I think I see what you are after.

You want to see the object as a 3d model instead of the 2d mapping that is usually displayed in the TCE.

I don't think I can help much in that option. In this case I can only suggest that it does get easier the more you work with it.

All I can suggest is the dual monitor setup I mentioned earlier. With that you can have the TCE up and the Heirarchy windows on one monitor. Then have the workspace on another monitor. Have the 3D section of the workspace maximized and the textures active on the 3d window so you can monitor the texture layouts as you place the objects within your textures.

I understand this is not what you are really looking for, just a suggestion.
mconn1 is offline   Reply With Quote